Think about SR as different observers using different coordinate

In summary, SR is a description of the physical world that is invariant under Lorentz transformations, which preserves lengths, angles, and other physical quantities.
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
Is it correct to think about SR as different observers using different coordinate systems depending on their speeds? This would meen that their measurements would differ since space, time, mass,etc.. measurements depend on the system used. I find it very easy to understand SR when I think about it this way. Is it correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can definitely think about it that way, just keep in mind that the coordinate systems being used are a little funny, i.e. the invarient in Minkowsky space is [tex]\sqrt{t^2-x^2-y^2-z^2}[/tex] or [tex]\sqrt{-t^2+x^2+y^2+z^2}[/tex], depending on whether the interval is timelike or spacelike, instead of [tex]\sqrt{t^2+x^2+y^2+z^2}[/tex], as one might expect from Cartesian space.

You can even represent the Lorentz transformation between refrence frames as a matrix, and then demonstrate that the matrix preserves lengths and angles (again, in the sense of Minkowsky coordinates) so that you can view it as being simply a rotation between different coordinate systems.

Last edited:
daniel_i_l said:
Is it correct to think about SR as different observers using different coordinate systems depending on their speeds? This would meen that their measurements would differ since space, time, mass,etc.. measurements depend on the system used. I find it very easy to understand SR when I think about it this way. Is it correct?

It is correct as far as it goes, but unless you go further and give the Lorentz transforms, or some equivalent statement such as the fact that the Lorentz interval is invariant for all observers, you have not uniquely identified SR.

You also have to note that the differing coordinate systems reflect the same underlying reality (covariance).

Thanks,
Well, obviously the coordunate system would have to rotate is such a way that the speed of light would be constant for all observers.

Not only the speed of light, but also other invariant quantities. For example, the spacetime interval between two events [itex]\Delta s = \sqrt{(c \Delta t)^2 - (\Delta x)^2 - (\Delta y)^2 - (\Delta z)^2}[/itex] is the same in any inertial reference frame. Also the quantity [itex]m_0 c^2 = \sqrt{E^2 - (p_x c)^2 - (p_y c)^2 - (p_z c)^2}[/itex] is the same in any inertial reference frame, for any object.

More generally, the magnitude of any four-vector is the same in all inertial reference frames, just as the magnitude of any ordinary "three-vector" stays the same when you rotate your (3-dimensional) coordinate system. An examples of a four-vector is the energy-momentum four-vector [itex](p_0, p_1, p_2, p_3) = (E/c, p_x, p_y, p_z)[/itex]. Also, the "dot product" of two four-vectors, [itex]a_0 b_0 - a_1 b_1 - a_2 b_2 - a_3 b_3[/itex] is the same in any inertial reference frame.

Last edited:

1. What is Special Relativity (SR)?

Special Relativity (SR) is a theory in physics that explains how objects move and interact in space and time. It was developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century and is based on the idea that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion.

2. What is the importance of considering different observers in SR?

The concept of different observers is crucial in SR because it helps us understand how measurements of space and time can vary depending on the observer's frame of reference. This is because the laws of physics may appear different to different observers, but they are still consistent and valid.

3. How does SR explain the concept of time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass more slowly for an object in motion compared to an observer at rest. This is explained in SR by the fact that space and time are relative and can be different for different observers. This means that time can appear to pass at different rates for different observers depending on their relative motion.

4. What is the role of the speed of light in SR?

The speed of light, denoted by 'c', plays a crucial role in SR as it is the fundamental speed limit in the universe. According to SR, the speed of light is constant and the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This means that the laws of physics must be the same for all observers, as observed by the constant speed of light.

5. How does SR impact our understanding of space and time?

Special Relativity has revolutionized our understanding of space and time by showing that they are not absolute concepts and can vary for different observers. This challenges our intuitive understanding of space and time as fixed and unchanging, but it has been confirmed by numerous experiments and has greatly influenced modern physics and technology.