Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Think and Believe

1. May 3, 2008 #1
    "Think" and "Believe"

I was thinking about these two words today in the context of:

And I'm having a hard time making a distinction between the two. Is the word "think" in this sort of context sometimes misused? Should we only reserve the word "think" when it's based on some form of reasoning/analysis? I'd like to think that could be a distinction, but give me your thoughts on this.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2008 #2
    Semantics can get confusing. And thats really all this is. Both those phrases are just simple colloquial ways of getting across a point. There is a slight distinction between these to technically, but in normal speech it is not necessary to make that distinction.
  4. May 6, 2008 #3
    Well, having a belief is a form of thinking.....
  5. May 7, 2008 #4
    in this context, i would say 'think' implies you're not very sure, but 'believe' would mean you are a little more confident. 'believe' would be when you have faith in its happening. whereas 'think' would mostly tend towards logical thinking.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?