1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thinking about magnetic coercive field

1. Aug 26, 2012 #1
    I am trying to better understand some concepts in magnetism and I hope that someone here can help clarify a few questions that I have.

I am trying to interpret the meaning of the specific coercive fields of magnetic objects. For the sake of discussion, let’s use neodymium (rare-earth) magnets as an example. These magnets have a very high coercive field. Again, for the sake of discussion let’s say the magnet has a coercive field of 12,000 Oe (~955 kA/m),
    http://www.translatorscafe.com/cafe...lator/ampere-per-meter-[A/m]-to-oersted-[Oe]/
    This would mean that in order to remove magnetization (take it to the M = 0 line on the hysteresis curve) of the magnet one would need to apply this minimum magnetic field (H-field) strength.

Does it make sense to think about the field outside the magnet? What would the field in the air / vacuum be right outside the magnetic at this point?

If we know that,
    H = (1/μ) * B
    Where mu is the magnetic permeability of the material, we could find the B-field if we know the H-field (from the coercive field). Of course, this is not value inside the magnet, since there is a magnetization that needs to be accounted for. But in the vacuum surrounding the magnet, there should be a field that we can find.

In the above example, could we say that the magnetic induction field (B-field) need to zero the object’s magnetization would be,
    B = μ_0 * H_c
    B = (4pi E-7 N/A^2) * (955000 A/m) = about 1.2 Tesla

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2012 #2
    Your conversion from A/m to T is about correct because Nb-Fe-B magnets have a permeability around 1. Other materials like AlNiCo have µr >> 1 .

Several fields are defined in permanent magnets. 955kA/m for an Nd-Fe-B is rather the field it offers for the using circuit, not the demagnetizing field which uses to be even bigger and translates to >2T.

This means that the induction needed to make or erase such a magnet can't be attained from a magnetic core and must be created without the help of permeability, by using a huge power for a short duration. The standard method is capacitor discharge, like 1m3 capacitors for 0.1dm3 magnets. In 10ms, it's loud and the cables must be hold firmly.

I suggest you to find material data sheets on manufacturers' websites for the material you want. They give magnetization curves which are rather clear.

4. Aug 27, 2012 #3
    In my example, I was not considering the field inside the magnetic (be it NdFeB, or whatever), but rather the air/vacuum immediately outside the magnet.

I should clarify that I am not really interested I specific case, but rather a more general understanding of what is going on. I just used NdFeB as an example because I thought using real numbers might clarify the question I was asking.

5. Aug 29, 2012 #4
    Can anyone else offer some insight?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook