1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Thinking particle physics for grad school. Undergrad course questions

1. Jun 14, 2012 #1
    Hi.

I am hoping to pursue high energy physics in graduate school. I have a few extra math electives I need to take for my math degree(majoring in math and physics). I was wondering if these classes would be of any real relevance

Abstract Algebra
    Algebraic Geometry
    Lie Algebras

Differential Geometry
    Manifold Theory
    Riemannian geometry

They are all grad courses, but I can take about 3 of them. The prereq for Manifolds is Diff Geo, and the prereq for Riemannian is Manifolds. The same reasoning goes for the algebra sequence. Basically I was thinking of either taking the algebra courses or the geometry ones. Would this be a good idea? I guess algebraic geometry is as it sounds also?

edit: Also, by the time I will be able to take any of these(spring semester next year), I will have taken graduate linear algebra and real analysis 2 at the undergrad level.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2012 #2
    If you are interested in particle physics, I will say the algebra courses are more helpful. If you are interested in gravity on the other hand, the geometry courses are more helpful.

4. Jun 14, 2012 #3
    Does your physics department have a graduate course on Lie Groups? It may be called Lie groups, or advanced mathematical methods, or something else but that will be the most useful.

5. Jun 14, 2012 #4
    I am afraid they do not. The only Lie-type course available is Lie Algebras in the math department, and it is a 700 level course(the highest level grad school courses here). I was thinking this could be overkill though for physics? Or would a full blown Lie Algebras and in general algebra sequence be very applicable?

6. Jun 14, 2012 #5
    I am not a graduate student or a physicists so I can not comment on the utility of something so advanced but generally, graduate math courses are a ways away from what one actually does in physics. Will it help with physics? Yeah, maybe a bit. But is it the best way to spend ones time to prepare for particle physics? Probably not.

7. Jun 14, 2012 #6
    Yes I understand and agree. I just want to make learning quantum field theory as "easy" as I can. Thanks for the advice. I will probably go with the algebra sequence. I will still probably take differential geometry though, since I love multivariate calculus

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook