Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thiolation to replace I on m-iodobenzylguanidine

1. Mar 20, 2008 #1
    I am trying to replace the I on m-iodobenzylguanidine with SH. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2008 #2
    You might be able to use sodium sulfide. I once replaced a chloro on 4-chloropyridine with -SH using sodium sulfide, but the details of the reaction escape me right now since I did it a real long time ago. I will look it up in my notebook tomorrow at work.
  4. Mar 20, 2008 #3

Thanks! I look forward to your reply.
  5. Mar 21, 2008 #4
    I actually did it on 4-chloropyridine N-oxide, so I don't know if it will work on your system or not since the N-oxide strongly activates the 4 position, but you can give it a shot.

15 g of the N-oxide and 18.6 g of Na2S were dissolved in 1000 mL of ethanol and were refluxed for 1 week. The solution was then filtered, rotavaped down, and washed with ether. NMR confirmed thiolation. Yields were difficult to determine because of the presence of inorganic salts.

If you do try it, do it on a small scale first. Na2S and all of the H2S it gives off are pretty toxic.

Also consider the rest of your molecule, Na2S in solution will turn the solution very alkaline, so the rest of your molecule must be stable under basic conditions for the reaction to work.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  6. Mar 21, 2008 #5
    Thanks so much. I'll give it a try.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?