1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

This is regarding difference equations and their solutions

1. Apr 11, 2015 #1
    This is regarding difference equations and their solutions. And to be specific, this is about linear constant coefficient difference equations. I read at one place, that the general solution of it can be expressed as sum of homogeneous equation and the particular solution. And at another place in the same book, I read that it is expressible as the sum of zero-input solution and zero-state solution. I am confused now. What is the relationship between all the four different solution parts>

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2015 #2

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Given differential equation, from which difference equations are derived, this answers the first part, on homogenous and particular.
    http://www.stewartcalculus.com/data/CALCULUS Concepts and Contexts/upfiles/3c3-NonhomgenLinEqns_Stu.pdf

Is one thinking of boundary value, initial value problems, or time-dependent vs steady-state?

Zero-input solution would simply solve for the state variables with zero input, i.e., there is no forcing function driving the system.

Zero-state would seem to imply a null initial condition.

See if this helps - http://lpsa.swarthmore.edu/Transient/TransZIZS.html

"The zero input solution is the response of the system to the initial conditions, with the input set to zero. The zero state solution is the response of the system to the input, with initial conditions set to zero."

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook