Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

This movie's been on TV about 20 times the past week. So, essay

1. Jun 17, 2011 #1
    This movie's been on TV about 20 times the past week.

So, essay quetion:

Stipulating that you commit all seven of the deadly sins, you are forced to resolve to stop committing one of them. You can choose which one. Which do you choose, and why?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2011 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Se7en

Well if I'm forced to continue to do six of them, I might as well do them to the best of my ability. So, I'd give up sloth.

4. Jun 17, 2011 #3

Gluttony. I'm trying to lose five or ten pounds.

5. Jun 17, 2011 #4

Clarifying: you are not forced to continue to do any of them. You can give up all seven in one pop if you want. You are only forced to give up one, at least, of them.

6. Jun 17, 2011 #5

gluttony. i've never been one of those who could eat massive amounts of food. and if i try, it tends to cause me pain. so i guess because i think it might be the easier one to avoid.

7. Jun 17, 2011 #6

I had to look up what the seven deadly sins were. They aren't sins at all, just character traits. I'm going for something meatier. I'd give up murder.

8. Jun 17, 2011 #7

What are the seven deadly sins?
    ok these from wiki... hmm I have never experienced envy but I am full of pride and wrath -_- I guess I would give up sloth....I wish I could enjoy being lazy but I never get the chance.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  9. Jun 17, 2011 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't even like the taste of sloth.

10. Jun 17, 2011 #9

Yeah, I guess I should have listed them. The Seven Deadly Sins are:

Zoobyism
    Seekingism
    Evoism
    Dangerism
    Snyderism
    Zapperism
    DaveCP30ism

More or less. There's a lot of flux and shifting.

Now you screwed up my hypothesis that people would choose the ones they don't consider that much fun anyway.

11. Jun 17, 2011 #10

Sloth, wrath, lust, gluttony, pride, envy, greed.

Exactly! It's a no-brainer.

12. Jun 17, 2011 #11

:rofl:

Yes I was looking it up on wiki and edited my post probably as you were typing this

13. Jun 17, 2011 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I gave up wrath when I resigned from the staff.

There's two. Lust? No way! Envy isn't an issue. Greed? I prefer to call it financial planning. Gluttony? Been on a diet for months now, but I reserve the right to gluttony two nights a week.

Pride? PLEASE!!! Try to run a business without taking pride in your work. Of the seven, I find this concept to be the most counterintuititive and self-defeating. Like mama always said, might as well toot your own horn cause no one is gonna toot it for you. I would change that one to arrogance. I'll send an email to the Pope about that one.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  14. Jun 17, 2011 #13

You made me look like an idiot, wounding my PRIDE, and now I feel WRATH toward you. Whoops!

15. Jun 17, 2011 #14

maybe he's either an outlier, or an out-and-out liar.

16. Jun 17, 2011 #15

The operative distinction is probably not between Pride and Arrogance, but between Pride and Confidence. Some Catholics used to take the injunction against pride to mean you should walk around hanging your head in shame, and should never assert yourself: "Blessed are the meek...". Pride as a deadly sin, though, would be evident in a situation where someone said something to the effect: "You can't talk to ME that way! Don't you know who I AM?" That sort of thing. I guess the concept would be narcissicm, in modern terms.

17. Jun 17, 2011 #16

Cold blooded killer. But he's going to try to cut back.

18. Jun 17, 2011 #17

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree. I always figured it meant 'vainglory'.

19. Jun 17, 2011 #18

I think the seven deadly sins were conceived to help keep medieval European peasants complacent, what do you think?

20. Jun 17, 2011 #19

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You mean, like an opiate for the masses?

:devil:

21. Jun 17, 2011 #20

VAINGLORY (from Merriam-Websters)

"1: excessive or ostentatious pride especially in one's achievements
    2: vain display or show : vanity"

Could well be, yes. According to a show I saw on The History Channel "sloth" was originally defined as what we would today recognize as psychiatric depression. A scary concept, but the point is the words don't necessarily mean today what they originally did.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook