How can I connect my PC to my TV for movie streaming?

• Thread starter leroyjenkens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pc
In summary: No idea, but I would recommend looking into those options.No idea, but I would recommend looking into those options.
leroyjenkens
Hello, I just got a TV for the first time in about a decade, so I'm unfamiliar with TV's that hook up to computers, but this is the only way I'll be able to watch anything on this TV.
The first is a picture of the connections I have on the back of the TV. The second one is the connections I have on the back of the computer.
20180420_122508.jpg

20180420_122135.jpg

I have the HDMI cable, but no connection for it on the computer. I went to Best Buy and the guy said that one plug I have on my computer with the 2 plus signs and the P is a thunderbolt slot. I did some research and I don't think that's a thunderbolt slot.
My goal is to simply watch movies from my computer on my TV. What would be the best plug or adapter to get? Thank you.

Attachments

• 20180420_122508.jpg
    20180420_122508.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 623
  • 20180420_122135.jpg
    20180420_122135.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 558
Computer science news on Phys.org
leroyjenkens said:
I did some research and I don't think that's a thunderbolt slot.
My goal is to simply watch movies from my computer on my TV. What would be the best plug or adapter to get?
Agreed, looks too wide for thunderbolt. No idea what it is though. Maybe someone else can figure that one out. I'd just go and buy a new graphics card that has HDMI output. Even cheap ones these days have them :)

Perhaps you need a HDMI to VGA cable.

The ++P is actually ++D, and it's Displayport. You need Displayport to HDMI.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
I suppose I could try an HDMI to VGA cable, but it makes me wonder how compatible the two devices will be if I need an adapter for them, i.e. will the video and audio look and sound as good as it could if I just had a graphics card with an HDMI port?
I think I'll go ahead and just purchase a graphics card with an HDMI port. Now I have to find out what my computer can support, and I have to find out if my computer case is big enough. I know some of these graphics cards are huge.
Thanks for the help.

Edit: So Displayport to HDMI adapter? Is that usually a good solution, or does that often come with compatibility issues? Thank you.

leroyjenkens said:
Displayport to HDMI adapter? Is that usually a good solution, or does that often come with compatibility issues?

The ++ indicates the adapter is actually putting out HDMI, but of course you need the adapter to be right mechanically. Me, I'd try the $7 adapter before the $45 video card.

Likes russ_watters, robphy, Tom.G and 1 other person
Most TV's these days have a VGA input socket.
You can use the TV screen same as you plug your PC video output into a normal smaller monitor screen,
I am doing that right now.
The only other thing you have to do is use the channel changer gadget to tell the TV screen that the input is from the PC (the VGA socket) instead of the TV receiver.

Last edited:
rootone said:
Most TV's these days have a VGA input socket.
While this may be true, the OP's TV doesn't have such a port (from the given photo of the back the TV).

Likes davenn
Apparently so if that photo shows all of the inputs.
I am a bit surprised that a modern TV with no VGA input is even a marketable product.

I see two HDMI input ports in that TV. There are standard DP to HDMI cables that will connect DisplayPort to HDMI, however you will get 2K (1920 X 1080) resolution at best.

I am using a 40" 4K TV (3840 X 2160 resolution) for my computer monitor. In order to make it work at that resolution, I had to get a 4K DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, then a high speed HDMI cable. Figuring all that out took multiple technical support calls to the monitor, computer, and graphics card manufacturers.

VGA is considered obsolete. It's analog, while DP and HDMI are digital.

Why not get a wireless card and use a wireless display adapter plugged into the HDMI port?

Something like Screenbeam, Miracast, etc... Hereor here ?

1. How do I physically connect my PC to my TV?

The most common way to connect a PC to a TV is by using an HDMI cable. Simply plug one end of the HDMI cable into your TV's HDMI input port and the other end into your PC's HDMI output port. If your TV or PC does not have an HDMI port, you can also use a VGA, DVI, or DisplayPort cable.

2. How do I change the display settings on my PC to show on my TV?

Once you have physically connected your PC to your TV, you will need to change the display settings on your PC to show on your TV. You can do this by going to your PC's display settings and selecting the TV as your primary display or by using the "duplicate" or "extend" display options.

3. Why is the picture on my TV blurry or distorted when connected to my PC?

This can happen if your TV's resolution does not match your PC's resolution. To fix this, you can adjust the display settings on your PC to match your TV's optimal resolution. If your TV does not support the same resolution as your PC, you may need to change the display settings to a lower resolution.

4. Can I use my TV as a second monitor for my PC?

Yes, you can use your TV as a second monitor for your PC by using the "extend" display option. This allows you to use your TV as an extended screen for your PC, giving you more screen space to work with.

5. Do I need any special software to connect my PC to my TV?

No, you do not need any special software to connect your PC to your TV. As long as your PC and TV have the necessary ports and cables, you can connect them without any additional software. However, you may need to update your display drivers if you encounter any issues with the connection.