1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

This problem has to do with mass and time

1. Aug 24, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Water is poured into a container that has a leak. The mass m of the water is given as a function of time t by m=5.00(t)^.8- 3.00t+ 20.00. with t being greater or equal to zero, m in grams, and t in seconds. (a) at what time is the water mass greatest (b) what is the greatest mass? in kilograms per minute, what is the rate of change at (c) t=2.00 s and (d) t=5.00s

how do i do this probelm

2. Relevant equations
    what equations can i use

3. The attempt at a solution

if i knew what to do or sort of do i could attempt it
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2008 #2
    is question a asking me to plug in a time that will allow the equation to equal to zero
  4. Aug 24, 2008 #3

Homework Helper

This is a problem in optimisation using calculus. Think of how to find the max and min of a function. That's all you need to do this problem, no physics involved.
  5. Aug 25, 2008 #4
    I figured it out. It was 4 seconds for question (a) and that opened up the rest of the problems.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?