This problem has to do with mass and time

• Thread starter afcwestwarrior
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Time
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving pouring water into a container with a leak. The mass of the water is given as a function of time and the questions ask about the maximum mass, rate of change, and specific times. The solution involves using calculus to find the maximum and minimum values of the function.
afcwestwarrior

Homework Statement

Water is poured into a container that has a leak. The mass m of the water is given as a function of time t by m=5.00(t)^.8- 3.00t+ 20.00. with t being greater or equal to zero, m in grams, and t in seconds. (a) at what time is the water mass greatest (b) what is the greatest mass? in kilograms per minute, what is the rate of change at (c) t=2.00 s and (d) t=5.00s

how do i do this probelm

Homework Equations

what equations can i use

The Attempt at a Solution

if i knew what to do or sort of do i could attempt it

Physics news on Phys.org
is question a asking me to plug in a time that will allow the equation to equal to zero

This is a problem in optimisation using calculus. Think of how to find the max and min of a function. That's all you need to do this problem, no physics involved.

I figured it out. It was 4 seconds for question (a) and that opened up the rest of the problems.

What is mass and how is it measured?

Mass is the amount of matter in an object and it is typically measured in kilograms (kg) or grams (g). It can be measured using a balance or scale, which compares the object's weight to a known standard.

What is the relationship between mass and time?

Mass and time are two different physical quantities and do not have a direct relationship. However, mass can affect the passage of time through the theory of relativity, which states that the greater the mass of an object, the slower time moves for that object.

How does mass affect the concept of time?

As mentioned before, mass can affect the passage of time through the theory of relativity. This means that objects with larger masses will experience time at a slower rate compared to objects with smaller masses.

What is the equation for calculating mass?

The equation for calculating mass is mass = density x volume. This means that the mass of an object is equal to its density multiplied by its volume.

Why is mass an important concept in science?

Mass is an important concept in science because it is a fundamental property of matter and it affects many other physical properties such as weight, inertia, and gravitational force. It is also a key factor in understanding the behavior of objects and systems in the universe.