A variable mass problem with friction

In summary: Also, be aware that you have to use an integral in the most general situation. However, I think you can use ##\lambda = \frac{dm}{dt}## directly in this problem.In summary, when dealing with variable-mass problems, it is important to carefully define the system and environment and to keep track of all the forces and changes in momentum. In this specific problem, the equation of movement of the tank can be found by using the momentum-impulse theorem, treating the mass of the rest of the tank as constant, and using the given values for mass, velocity, and rate of mass loss. Additionally, it is important to note that the rocket equation is a useful reference for solving variable-mass problems
Eitan Levy

Homework Statement

A water tank with a total mass of m0 is moving on a horizontal road with a coefficient of friction equals to μ.
At t=0 water starts to come out of the tank with a velocity equal to u0 in relation to the tank. Each second the mass of water that comes out is λ.

Find the equation of movement of the tank.

The answer is below.

Homework Equations

F=dP/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

FNmCGAA.png

[/B]
What is my mistake here? What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• FNmCGAA.png
    FNmCGAA.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 337
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to be very careful using ##\dot p= \dot mv+m\dot v##. In fact, I wouid never use it.
The trouble is that it treats mass as something which can simply change, independently of anything else. In reality, the mass is going to somewhere or coming from somewhere. The equation works provided that the mass being gained or lost neither brings momentum with it nor takes momentum away with it. That is not the case here.

Likes jbriggs444
[EDIT: I see that @haruspex posted just before me. I'll leave my comments in case they are helpful.]

##\lambda u_0 = \frac{dm}{dt}u_0## is the force which an amount of water ##dm## exerts on the "rest of the tank" when ##dm## is ejected during ##dt##.

If ##m## is the mass of the tank just before ##dm## is ejected, then the mass of the "rest of the tank" is ##m-dm##. This mass of the rest of the tank does not change while ##dm## is ejected. So, when setting up ##F_{\rm net} = \frac{dP}{dt}## for the rest of the tank, you must treat ##m-dm## as constant. So, ##\frac{dP}{dt} = (m-dm) \frac{dv}{dt}##. But ##dm## is negligible relative to ##m##. So, ##\frac{dP}{dt} = m \frac{dv}{dt}##. You had an extra term ##\frac{dm}{dt}v## in ##\frac{dP}{dt}## which shouldn't be there.

Generally, mistakes in dealing with variable-mass problems come from not being careful in defining "the system" and "environment".

The standard derivation of the "rocket equation" found in textbooks avoids having to consider the force which part of the fuel exerts on the rest of the rocket. You just use the momentum-impulse theorem as applied to the entire rocket-fuel system. So, you might want to look up a derivation of the rocket equation in your textbook or elsewhere.

1. What is a variable mass problem with friction?

A variable mass problem with friction is a physics problem that involves objects with changing masses and the presence of frictional forces. This type of problem is often seen in situations where objects are either gaining or losing mass, such as a rocket burning fuel or a car traveling on a road with varying friction coefficients.

2. How do you solve a variable mass problem with friction?

To solve a variable mass problem with friction, you would need to apply the laws of motion, specifically Newton's second law, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. You would also need to take into account the changes in mass and the frictional forces in your calculations.

3. What is the role of friction in a variable mass problem?

Friction plays a crucial role in a variable mass problem as it is a force that resists motion between two surfaces. In the case of a variable mass problem, friction can affect the acceleration and velocity of the object, making it an important factor to consider in calculations.

4. How does the presence of friction affect the solution to a variable mass problem?

The presence of friction can significantly impact the solution to a variable mass problem. Frictional forces can decrease the acceleration and velocity of the object, leading to longer travel times and reduced distances. It can also affect the amount of work done and energy transferred in the system.

5. Can a variable mass problem with friction be solved using a simple approach?

No, a variable mass problem with friction typically requires a more complex approach to solve accurately. The changing mass and frictional forces add additional variables and equations that need to be considered and incorporated into the solution. As such, a simple approach may not provide an accurate solution.