Water poured into leaky container

In summary, the conversation discussed solving a problem involving the mass of water in a container with a leak, given as a function of time. The group solved parts a and b, but had trouble with converting units for parts c and d. After some trial and error, they were able to find the correct answers.
jdawg

Homework Statement

Water is poured into a container that has a leak. The mass m of the water is given as a function of time t by m = 5.3t0.8 - 3.2t + 22, with t ≥ 0, m in grams, and t in seconds. (a) At what time is the water mass greatest, and (b) what is that greatest mass? What is the rate of mass change at (c) t = 1.6 s and (d) t = 4.9 s? Change g/s to kg/min for part c and d.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I already got part a and part b, but I'm having trouble with parts c and d.
This is what I got for the derivative: dm/dt=4.24t^-0.2-3.2
Part C: I plugged in 1.6 into my derivative and got 0.6595961104. then I multiplied by .06 to convert to kg/min and got 0.0395757666. But that's not the right answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
I get the same answer. Do you know what the correct answer for C is?

No I don't, is it maybe a problem with significant figures? My online homework is kind of picky.

jdawg said:
No I don't, is it maybe a problem with significant figures? My online homework is kind of picky.
If it's significant figures (which it may very well be) have you tried 0.040?

Thank you so much! It worked :)

Maybe they want the answer in grams/sec?

Now I'm having trouble with part D. I plugged in 4.9 into the derivative and got -0.1144922571 g/s and then converted it to kg/min and got -0.0068695354. I tried putting in -0.007 for significant figures, but that didn't work.

@Chestermiller No, they want it in km/min.

For D, try -0.01. Depending on the exact precision rules it could also be 0.

I tried both and neither one worked :(

Then it must be -0.069.
(I checked you calculation - it's right)

That one didn't work either, maybe there's something wrong with that problem. I'll try e-mailing my professor about it. Thanks so much for your help!

jdawg said:
That one didn't work either, maybe there's something wrong with that problem. I'll try e-mailing my professor about it. Thanks so much for your help!
I get -0.0069 rather than -0.069

Thanks Chester, that one worked!

What causes a container to leak?

A container can leak for a variety of reasons, including cracks or holes in the material, loose or broken seals, or damage to the container itself.

What happens when water is poured into a leaky container?

When water is poured into a leaky container, it will escape through the holes or cracks, causing a loss of water and potentially creating a mess.

How can you prevent a container from leaking?

To prevent a container from leaking, you can use a different container with no leaks, patch any cracks or holes, or replace any damaged seals.

Can a leaky container be fixed?

In some cases, a leaky container can be fixed by patching or sealing the damaged area. However, if the damage is extensive, it may be more cost-effective to replace the container.

What are the potential consequences of a leaky container?

The consequences of a leaky container can vary depending on the contents of the container. In the case of water, it may lead to a loss of water and potentially create a mess. However, if the container holds hazardous materials, a leak can be dangerous and potentially harmful to the environment and those handling the container.