Thomas/Finney's Calculus - which edition?

• Thread starter autodidude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the individual is currently learning Calculus but is having difficulty understanding certain concepts due to a lack of exercises in the book they are using. They have found a potential solution in the 7th edition of 'Calculus with Analytical Geometry' by Thomas and Finney, but are unsure which edition to purchase. They are advised to read the preface of each edition and compare them, as well as seek out a student solutions guide if available.
autodidude
I'm currently learning Calculus from Morris Kline's 'An Intuitive and Physical approach' but it lacks exercises and I'm finding it difficult to gain a formal understanding of some concepts from it. So I browsed through a couple of Calculus books the local library had and the one that stood out for me was the 7th edition of 'Calculus with Analytical Geometry' (Thomas and Finney)

Anyway, I've decided to buy a copy but I've got 3 options, 7th, 8th or 9th editions. They're all roughly the same price, but 7th is the most expensive, 8th is the cheapest. Also, some review say that the questions presented aren't challenging enough in this book - did anyone find this a 'problem?'

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I doubt that many people have read all three so carefully that they can make an intelligent comparison, so I recommend that you read the preface of the 8th and 9th editions, and see how they differ from the 7th.

My experience with texts that have a new edition every couple of years is that the differences are usually not important, often just minor reorganizations, but once in a while they add or omit something substantial. I remember feeling cheated when the newer edition of a calculus book I bought (many years ago) turned out to have dropped a chapter on the derivation of Kepler's Laws.

You might also see if you can locate a student solutions guide for one of them. If so, that would be the one to get.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between Thomas/Finney's Calculus editions?

There are several differences between the editions of Thomas/Finney's Calculus. The first edition was published in 1952 and is considered the original version. The later editions (2-9) were updated with new topics, examples, and exercises. The 9th edition is the most recent and was published in 2009.

2. Can I use an older edition of Thomas/Finney's Calculus?

Yes, you can use an older edition of Thomas/Finney's Calculus. However, keep in mind that the newer editions may have updated content, and some exercises may be different. It is always best to check with your instructor to see if an older edition is acceptable for your course.

3. Is there an online version of Thomas/Finney's Calculus?

Yes, there is an online version of Thomas/Finney's Calculus available. It is called "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" and is the 9th edition. It can be accessed through various online platforms such as Pearson, Amazon, and Chegg.

4. Are there any resources available to accompany Thomas/Finney's Calculus?

Yes, there are resources available to accompany Thomas/Finney's Calculus. These include a student solutions manual, instructor's solutions manual, and a study guide. These resources can be purchased separately or may be included with the textbook depending on the edition and publisher.

5. Is Thomas/Finney's Calculus suitable for self-study?

While it is always recommended to learn with the guidance of a teacher or tutor, Thomas/Finney's Calculus can be suitable for self-study. The textbook is comprehensive and includes many examples and exercises to practice. There are also online resources and study guides available to aid in self-study.