From what book should I start my calculus course?

In summary, The conversation discusses the topic of calculus textbooks and reference books for a first-year university student studying electrical engineering. The university offers two textbooks, "Calculus and Analytic Geometry" by Thomas and Finney, and "Essential Calculus" by Stewart James. Additionally, there are two recommended reference books, "Advanced Calculus" by David V. Wider and "Calculus" by Tom M. Apostol. The participants in the conversation also share their personal preferences for calculus books, with the consensus being that Thomas and Finney's book is a good choice for engineering students.
Modest Learner
Hi, this is my first post.
Okay, I am in 1st semester of my university (doing B.E. Electrical Engineering). My Maths (I) is all calculus. So what calculus book should I buy??

The university proposes ----> 1. Calculus and Analytic Geometry, 9th edition by Thomas and Finney
2.Essential Calculus by Stewart James

The above are as textbooks.

The below are referred to as reference books---->

1. Wider David V, Advanced Calculus: Early Trancedentals, Cengage Learning (2007).
2. Apostol Tom M, Calculus, Vol I and II John Wiley (2003).

Physics news on Phys.org
Finally someone, I was becoming cynical regarding getting enough answers. Thanks a lot verty

Thomas is a good book. I like Howard Anton also.

I learned calculus from the 7th edition of Thomas and Finney. It is a very good book. I suspect the 9th edition is very similar and retains the same approach. It is certainly very good for engineers. I think I have used almost everything I learned from that book. I hope you enjoy calculus!

jason

What is calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of continuous change and is used to solve problems involving rates of change, optimization, and motion.

Why is it important to know which book to start with for a calculus course?

Choosing the right book for your calculus course can greatly impact your understanding and success in the subject. A good book will provide clear explanations, helpful examples, and practice problems to improve your skills.

What are some factors to consider when deciding on a calculus book?

Some factors to consider when choosing a calculus book include the level of difficulty, the author's teaching style, the book's organization and structure, and the types of exercises and practice problems provided.

What are some recommended books to start with for a calculus course?

Some popular books for starting a calculus course include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Calculus" by Michael Spivak, and "Calculus Early Transcendentals" by Howard Anton.

Can I start with an online or digital version of a calculus book?

Yes, there are many online and digital versions of calculus books available. However, it is important to ensure that the book has all the necessary information and resources for your course and to check with your instructor before using an online or digital version.