Supplementary material for Calculus?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the use of supplementary materials for studying calculus. The individual is using the Larson Calculus book, but has heard mixed reviews about it. They are looking for suggestions on other books to use, and have been recommended books by Lang and Kline. They also discuss the idea of using a resource from MIT for extra help and practice problems. The individual ultimately decides to pick up the Lang and Kline books, and plans on using the MIT resource as well. The conversation also touches on the frequency of updating math books and the use of supplementary problems.
QuantumCurt
Education Advisor
Hey everyone, I'm starting calculus in a few weeks, and I've been wanting to pick up some supplementary material. I'm using the Larson Calculus book, 9th edition- https://www.amazon.com/dp/0547167024/?tag=pfamazon01-20 - which I've read very mixed reviews about. Some people say it's a great first exposure to calculus, others say it's a horrible book. My experience with Larson books so far has been somewhat mixed. My school uses basically all Larson books. The Larson College Algebra book was quite good. Great explanations, and very challenging exercises. The Larson Trigonometry book was, in my opinion...horrible. Very little in the way of explaining the ideas behind "why" what we were doing worked the way that it did. Challenging exercises, but the chapters didn't really prepare you for the exercises that well.

What are some good supplementary materials to have? I've read a lot about the Spivak Calculus book, although I've gathered that it isn't really ideal for someone just being exposed to Calculus for the first time. Would it still be worth picking up?

I've read some great reviews on the Dover mathematics books. I was looking at this one- https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486404536/?tag=pfamazon01-20 and it sounds like a good book. Sounds like it approaches calculus from a more intuitive perspective, with a focus on the theory, rather than the "how this is done" approach. Any thoughts?

Any other suggestions for me to check out? Any help would be much appreciated. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't pick up Spivak, it's going to be close to useless for you. You'll be intimidated more than anything. It's just not good as a first encounter. Do pick it up later on.

I really dislike Larson, Stewart and the other books. I think it should be a rule that if a book has 9 editions, then it's crap. I really recommend "A first course in calculus" by Lang. The Kline book is pretty good too.

Here's another book worth looking into: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0883857650/?tag=pfamazon01-20

micromass said:
Don't pick up Spivak, it's going to be close to useless for you. You'll be intimidated more than anything. It's just not good as a first encounter. Do pick it up later on.

Duly noted.

I really dislike Larson, Stewart and the other books. I think it should be a rule that if a book has 9 editions, then it's crap.

Unfortunately, the Larson book is the required text for all 3 calculus courses. The sequence at my school is Calc I, II, then differential equations, then Calc III. The Larson book is used for Calc I, II, and III. So, I'll be stuck with it. I've read a ton of bad reviews, and I haven't been that fond of most of the Larson books I've used in the past, hence my needing supplementary material.

The Larson books seem to leave out the theory in basically every topic. They don't tell you "why." They seem to basically just give an incredibly simple example, then assume that you can solve the vastly more complicated exercises in the back. I can typically puzzle them out, but I feel bad for the people in my classes that aren't very mathematically adept.

The Larson College Algebra book wasn't bad though, in all fairness.

I really recommend "A first course in calculus" by Lang. The Kline book is pretty good too.

Here's another book worth looking into: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0883857650/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The Lang book looks really good. Lots of great reviews, and it sounds like the intuitive/conceptual basis that I really want. I think I'm going to pick that up, along with the Kline book.

The Counterexamples book you linked looks interesting. Definitely an interesting idea for a supplementary material. The Larson books actually incorporate a similar idea into their exercises. Most of the sections have a few "error correction" type problems...those can be fun to figure out sometimes. I might have to pick that book up sometime down the line.

Will those two books basically be relevant through the whole Calculus sequence, or will I get to a point where the material I'm doing in class is beyond the scope of those books? They both go up to multivariable calc, so it sounds like they should be good for all three semesters.

Thanks for the suggestions!edit-I agree about the 9 editions = crap statement. The 10th edition of Larson's Calculus actually just came out. I got lucky though, this is the last sequence that will be using the 9th edition. Anyone start Calc I after this fall is going to use the 10th edition. That would have cost me substantially more.

I really don't understand why they update their math books every 3 years or so. I mean...really...has anything that fundamental changed in Algebra or Calculus in the last 5 years?...lol

I see there's another Lang book for Calculus of Several Variables- https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387964053/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Would it be a good idea to pick this up when I'm getting closer to Calc III? Still a ways down the road...but it looks like this book covers a lot more of the material that's in Calc III, where as the First Course in Calculus book just goes into multi-variable calc briefly at the end, and focuses mainly on the material from Calc I and II.

My recommendation is to use this resource (MIT's course), if you need it, for things you are struggling with or want another explanation for. Also look at the non-Scholar versions if you want supplementary problems.

verty said:
My recommendation is to use this resource (MIT's course), if you need it, for things you are struggling with or want another explanation for. Also look at the non-Scholar versions if you want supplementary problems.

That looks like a great resource! Thanks for the link! I just browsed around on that site a little bit, and it looks like that will be a great resource for many courses in the future as well.

1. What is supplementary material for Calculus?

Supplementary material for Calculus includes additional resources such as practice problems, review sheets, and video tutorials that can help students better understand and apply the concepts learned in a Calculus course.

2. Where can I find supplementary material for Calculus?

Supplementary material for Calculus can be found online through various educational websites, such as Khan Academy or Coursera. It may also be provided by your instructor or included in your textbook.

3. How can supplementary material for Calculus help me study?

Supplementary material for Calculus can provide extra practice and reinforcement of concepts, as well as different approaches and explanations to help you better understand the material. It can also serve as a review tool before exams.

4. Is supplementary material for Calculus necessary for success in the course?

While not necessary, supplementary material for Calculus can greatly enhance your understanding and performance in the course. It is especially helpful for students who may be struggling with certain concepts or want to further challenge themselves.

5. Can supplementary material for Calculus be used for self-study?

Yes, supplementary material for Calculus can be used for self-study. It is a great resource for students who want to review and practice on their own, outside of class. However, it is important to also seek clarification and guidance from a teacher or tutor if needed.