Three forces act on a moving object

• Thread starter theniknakman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Act Forces
In summary, the problem involves three forces acting on a moving object, with one force having a magnitude of 80.0 N and directed due north, and another with a magnitude of 60.0 N and directed due west. The net force is found to be 100 N at a direction of 53.13 degrees north of west. To maintain a constant velocity, a third force with a magnitude of 100 N and a direction of 53.13 degrees south of east must be applied.
theniknakman

Homework Statement

Three forces act on a moving object. One force has a magnitude of 80.0 N and is directed due north. Another force has a magnitude of 60.0 N and is directed due west. What must be the magnitude and direction of the third force, such that the object continues to move with a constant velocity?

Force 1 = 80.0 N due north.
Force 2 = 60.0 N due west.

Homework Equations

a^2 + b^2 = c^2
Theta = tan^-1(fy/fx)

The Attempt at a Solution

First I started by plotting the problem on a cartesian plane. I then took my known quantities of 80.0 N due north (along the positive y axis) and 60.0 N due west (along the negative x axis) and used pythag to find the net force, the answer of which was 100 N.

I then attempted to find the direction using Theta = tan^-1(fy/fx) = tan^-1(80/60) = 53.13.

My question is, am I right in assuming that I must counteract the first two forces with the third to ensure a constant velocity? If so I would appreciate any help in this regard.

Physics news on Phys.org
Careful with your direction. 53.13 degrees with respect to what? West of North? North of West? Otherwise, your assumption is correct.

lewando said:
Careful with your direction. 53.13 degrees with respect to what? West of North? North of West? Otherwise, your assumption is correct.

Thanks. I will be sure to always define that in future :smile:

So the next step in my problem having confirmed my original assumption (thanks again) would be to determine the magnitude of the third force and it's direction:

The net force I worked out to be 100 N and the direction to be 53.13 degrees North of West :smile:

So the magnitude would have to be 100 N in the opposite direction being 53.13 degrees South of East?

I appreciate all help as I have just begun studying again and I want to fully grasp each concept as I go along.

Thanks.

So the magnitude would have to be 100 N in the opposite direction being 53.13 degrees South of East?

Yep.:approve:

I would first make sure to clarify the terms "constant velocity" and "counteract." "Constant velocity" means that the object is moving at a steady speed in a straight line, without any change in direction. "Counteract" could mean that the third force must be equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the net force, thus resulting in a zero net force and constant velocity. However, it could also mean that the third force must be directed in a specific way to balance out the other two forces and maintain constant velocity.

Assuming that the third force must be equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the net force, then your calculations are correct. The third force must have a magnitude of 100 N and be directed due south (180 degrees from due north) to counteract the 80 N due north and 60 N due west forces.

If the third force must be directed in a specific way to balance out the other two forces, then we would need more information about the object's initial velocity and the direction of its motion. Without this information, it is not possible to provide a specific answer.

In general, as a scientist, it is important to clarify any ambiguous terms and make sure that all necessary information is provided in a problem before attempting to solve it. This ensures that our solutions are accurate and meaningful.

1. What are the three forces that act on a moving object?

The three forces that act on a moving object are friction, gravity, and air resistance. Friction is the force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. Gravity is the force that pulls objects towards each other. Air resistance is the force that acts against an object's motion through air.

2. How do these forces affect the motion of a moving object?

The three forces act in different directions and magnitudes, causing a net force on the object. This net force determines the acceleration or deceleration of the object's motion.

3. How can we calculate the net force on a moving object?

The net force on a moving object can be calculated by finding the vector sum of all the individual forces acting on the object. This can be done using Newton's Second Law, which states that the net force is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration.

4. Can these forces be balanced?

Yes, these forces can be balanced. When the net force on an object is zero, the object will either remain at rest or continue to move at a constant velocity. This is known as equilibrium.

5. How do these forces affect the motion of objects in different environments?

These forces can have varying effects on the motion of objects depending on the environment they are in. For example, air resistance will have a greater impact on the motion of objects in air compared to objects in a vacuum. Similarly, friction will have a greater effect on objects moving on rough surfaces compared to smooth surfaces.