1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Three objects on a hanging pulley system

1. Feb 5, 2012 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Three objects with masses m1 = 37.5 kg, m2 = 19.5 kg, and m3 = 11.1 kg are hanging from ropes that are redirected over pulleys. What is the acceleration of m1? Negative numbers for downward, and positive numbers for upward, please.

There should be a diagram of what the system looks like attached.

The attempt at a solution

First I drew a FBD of each of the three masses. I made the tension between mass 2 and 1, the variable T12. I made the tension between mass 1 and 3, the variable T13, just for simplicity sake.

So the equations I got from the FBD were:

T12=m2a+m2g
    T13=m3a+m3g
    m1g-(T12+T13) =m1a

Then I plugged in the two tension formulas and simply solved for a, which gave me 0.9939 m/s2.

I got the question wrong. What I am really wondering is if it just a wrong sign, and the answer is actually -0.9939 m/s2. Or is there a mistake in the math somewhere that I can not see.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2012 #2
    Hi,

Forces pointing in the positive direction are written first, then subtracted by negatively pointing forces.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  4. Feb 5, 2012 #3
    I appreciate it. The value was not correct, it was the number that I got, but negative. I left a sign off when doing the math.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook