Three people are balanced on a uniform seesaw - Torque

In summary, the problem involves finding the mass of person B and the normal force acting on the fulcrum in a seesaw system with three people and a weight of 150 N. The solution involves setting up equations using the distances to the fulcrum and taking into account the weight of the seesaw.
Gewitter_05
Three people are balanced on a uniform seesaw -- Torque

Homework Statement

Three people are balanced on a uniform seesaw which has a weight of 150 N as shown in the figure.
Find the mass of person B and the normal force acting on the fulcrum.

Homework Equations

Tcw=Tccw

The Attempt at a Solution

There was a problem that involved mass and a fulcrum in my notes, it doesn't have a force or weight of the fulcrum, but I tried to set it up like the example to find the mass of person B

(mC)(5.4)=(mA)(0)+(mB)(1.2). I then solved for mass B. I am not sure if I have to also put the weight of the fulcrum in there or not.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 1,426
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no mass of a fulcrum. The 150 N refer to the weight of the horizontal seesaw. You can just treat it like an additional person, sitting at the center of mass of the seesaw. The sketch shows this.
(mC)(5.4)=(mA)(0)+(mB)(1.2)
Those are not the distances to the fulcrum.

So would I change the distances by subtracting the number from the fulcrum. Instead of mB being 1.2, it would be 0.8, mC 3.4 and mA 2?

Right. And don't forget the weight of the seesaw.

Cool. Thanks!

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the applied force by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2. How is torque related to balance on a seesaw?

In order for a seesaw to be balanced, the torque on one side must be equal to the torque on the other side. This means that the force applied and the distance from the axis of rotation must be balanced on both sides.

3. How does the weight of the people affect the seesaw's balance?

The weight of the people affects the seesaw's balance by changing the torque on each side. The heavier person will apply a greater force and therefore have a larger torque, while the lighter person will have a smaller torque. This can be balanced by adjusting the distance of each person from the axis of rotation.

4. Can the seesaw be balanced with an uneven number of people?

Yes, the seesaw can still be balanced with an uneven number of people as long as the torque on each side is equal. This can be achieved by having a heavier person closer to the axis of rotation and a lighter person further away, or by having multiple people of varying weights on each side.

5. What happens if one person moves closer to the center of the seesaw?

If one person moves closer to the center of the seesaw, their distance from the axis of rotation decreases and their torque decreases as well. This will cause the seesaw to become unbalanced, and the other person will need to adjust their position to maintain balance.