1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Three point charge in a plane (electricity in physics II)

1. Jun 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Three charges are located in the x-y plane (see plot below), with Q1 = -6.00 μC, Q2 = 5.00 μC and Q3 = -3.00 μC. Note that the charges are located at grid intersections points.

*I couldn't put the grid on here, but the points are Q1 = (-2,-4), Q2 = (-2, 2). and Q3 = (3, -4)

a) Calculate the total electrostatic potential energy.

b) Calculate the work required (by external forces) to transport Q3 from its location on the figure to infinity.

2. Relevant equations

PE = k[(Q1Q2/r12) + (Q1Q3/r1r3) + (Q2Q3/r2r3)]

3. The attempt at a solution

I got part a) to be -.0299 J, which was right. This is what I did for the second part:

k[(Q1Q3/r1r3) + (Q2Q3/r2r3)]=

=k[(-15/√61) + (18/5)]

=1.51x10^10 J.

I have tried both this and its negative counterpart, neither yielding a correct answer. Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is the potential energy of the system which has only Q1 and Q2 ?

4. Jun 7, 2012 #3
    I guess it would be k[Q1Q2/r1r2] = k[-5] = -4.50x10^10 J, but I tried that and its positive counterpart as well and neither are correct.

5. Jun 8, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What's the difference between this answer, and the answer with all three charges present?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook