• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Three problems on Complex Analysis

Homework Statement

1)Show that [itex](1-i)^{2}=-2i[/itex] then evaluate [itex](1-i)^{2004}+(1-i)^{2005}[/itex]

2)Prove that every complex number with moduli 1, except z=1, can be put in the form [itex]\frac{a+i}{a-i}[/itex]

3)Let m and n be positive integers without a common factor. Define [itex]z^{m/n}=(z^{m})^{1/n}[/itex], and show that [itex]z^{m/n}=(z^{1/n})^{m}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I solved [itex](1-i)^{2}=-2i[/itex] by expanding, and then solved in the polar form, that is, [itex](1-i)^{2}=(\sqrt{2}(cos(-pi/4)+i*sin(-pi/4))^{2}=2(cos(-pi/2)+i*sin(-pi/2)=\sqrt{2}(1-i)[/itex], hence, [itex]\sqrt{2}(1-i)=-2i[/itex]. Then I stopped because something's wrong, isn't it?

2)Let z=x+yi. Letting [itex]x+yi=\frac{a+i}{a-i}[/itex] I can obtain the following equations: [itex]xa+y=a; ya-x=1[/itex], which, solved simultaneously, yields [itex]a=\sqrt{\frac{1+x}{1-x}}[/itex], then I got stuck.

3)I've just used DeMoivre's with z in polar form and particular properties of real numbers to invert the powers, but idk if that's correct.

Many Thanks

Answers and Replies

SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

1)Show that [itex](1-i)^{2}=-2i[/itex] then evaluate [itex](1-i)^{2004}+(1-i)^{2005}[/itex]

2)Prove that every complex number with moduli 1, except z=1, can be put in the form [itex]\frac{a+i}{a-i}[/itex]

3)Let m and n be positive integers without a common factor. Define [itex]z^{m/n}=(z^{m})^{1/n}[/itex], and show that [itex]z^{m/n}=(z^{1/n})^{m}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I solved [itex](1-i)^{2}=-2i[/itex] by expanding, and then solved in the polar form, that is, [itex](1-i)^{2}=(\sqrt{2}(cos(-pi/4)+i*sin(-pi/4))^{2}=2(cos(-pi/2)+i*sin(-pi/2)=\sqrt{2}(1-i)[/itex], hence, [itex]\sqrt{2}(1-i)=-2i[/itex]. Then I stopped because something's wrong, isn't it?
Many Thanks
Yes, something is wrong.

cos(±π/2) = 0

Bacle2
Science Advisor
For 1 , you can look at multiplication as multiplying the respective moduli and

adding the arguments (mod 2pi if necessary). For 2, it seems you can just solve

for a in a single equation, to have a in terms of x,y ; after all, z seems to be given

in terms of x and y.