Three Vectors - Resultant vector magnitude?

In summary: So you want to find Rx and Ry, then use the formula I mentioned in the previous post to find the total resultant.In summary, to find the magnitude of the resultant vector given three vectors at specific angles, you can split the vectors into horizontal and vertical components, then sum the vertical and horizontal components separately to get the resultant vertical and horizontal vectors. Finally, use the formula R=\sqrt{x^2+y^2} to find the magnitude of the total resultant vector.
KendrickLamar

Homework Statement

Three vectors are shown in the figure (A = 68.0 ; qB = 54.0°). Their magnitudes are given in arbitrary units. What is the magnitude of the resultant vector?

Homework Equations

here's the image that goes with it
1-4.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

well i figure the angle would be 98 then i guess I am just looking for the missing side which is the resultant vector but i tried some trig functions and failed, not really sure what to do, this is pretty basic but i haven't looked at any physics in about 3-4 years.

thanks if u can help

Physics news on Phys.org
The easiest way would be to split B and A into both vertical and horizontal components. Then find the sum of the vertical (y) and sum of the horizontal (x) then apply

[tex]R=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex]

Do you know remember how to split a vector into components?

rock.freak667 said:
The easiest way would be to split B and A into both vertical and horizontal components. Then find the sum of the vertical (y) and sum of the horizontal (x) then apply

[tex]R=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex]

Do you know remember how to split a vector into components?

haha not really i feel kinda dumb now, can u quickly remind me? but even if u split it, and you're trying to get that other side, can't u NOT use the pythagorean theorem since there's no right angle

Last edited:
KendrickLamar said:
haha not really i feel kinda dumb now, can u quickly remind me? but even if u split it, and you're trying to get that other side, can't u NOT use the pythagorean theorem since there's no right angle

How to split them: http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/k-12/airplane/vectpart.html"

You would be splitting them into horizontal and vertical vectors so the right angle is always there.

Once you split all into horizontal and vertical, you can sum the individual verticals to get the resultant vertical (y) and similarly sum the horizontals to get the resultant horizontal (x). Then apply the formula.

Last edited by a moderator:
what i don't get is, after u split it what are u exactly looking for because then you're just solving for A and B which are already given to you? A= 68 B =40 so wouldn't the purpose of splitting it into components be to get those values, however they're already provided.

KendrickLamar said:
what i don't get is, after u split it what are u exactly looking for because then you're just solving for A and B which are already given to you? A= 68 B =40 so wouldn't the purpose of splitting it into components be to get those values, however they're already provided.

You are give A and B at the particular angles, if you split into the components then you get the resultants in the x and y directions, which is what you want.

1. What is a resultant vector magnitude?

A resultant vector magnitude is a measure of the overall strength or length of a vector that is formed by the combination of two or more individual vectors. It represents the total effect or magnitude of the combined forces acting on an object in a specific direction.

2. How is the resultant vector magnitude calculated?

The resultant vector magnitude is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the hypotenuse (longest side) of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In other words, the magnitude of the resultant vector is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the individual vector magnitudes.

3. How is the direction of the resultant vector determined?

The direction of the resultant vector is determined using trigonometric functions, specifically the tangent function. This involves dividing the opposite side of the resultant triangle by the adjacent side to find the angle of the resultant vector in relation to a reference axis.

4. Can the resultant vector magnitude be negative?

Yes, the resultant vector magnitude can be negative. This occurs when the individual vectors are acting in opposite directions, resulting in a net force in the opposite direction. In this case, the resultant vector magnitude is represented by a negative value.

5. How is the resultant vector magnitude useful in real-world applications?

The resultant vector magnitude is useful in many real-world applications, such as engineering, physics, and navigation. It can be used to determine the total force acting on an object, the displacement of an object, or the velocity and acceleration of an object in a given direction. It is also used in vector addition and subtraction to solve complex problems involving multiple forces or motions.