1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the magnitude/direction of a resultant vector?

1. Aug 25, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Four vectors A, B, C, and D are shown (not to scale). Vector A has magnitude 20.0 and acts at an angle of 12.9 degrees with respect to the positive x axis. Vector B has magnitude 15.0 and acts at an angle of 55.7 degrees with respect to the positive x axis. Vector C has magnitude 31.5 and acts at an angle of 146.5 degrees with respect to the positive x axis. Vector D has magnitude 13.0 and acts at an angle of 296.4 degrees with respect to the positive x axis.

Question: What are the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector, R, when the parallelogram law is applied to A and B?

2. Relevant equations
    Law of Sines and Law of Cosines..
    A/sina=B/sinb=C/sinc
    C=sqrt(A^2+B^2-2ABcos(c)

3. The attempt at a solution

I solved for The resultant vector and got 32.6 N.... R=sqrt(20^2 +15^2-2(20*15*cos(137.2)))
    Then I used law of sines to find the direction and got 52.5 degrees.

Apparently, I'm wrong. I recalculated all the angles not given and they seem to be right, but my end result ends up being wrong. Any tips?
    Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2013 #2

lewando

Gold Member

You might want to post more detail on what you did here. That's where the problem lies.

4. Aug 25, 2013 #3
    Alright, sorry! I did 32.6/sin(r)=15/21.4.
    I got 21.4 from the calculating the angle 1/2(ThetaB-ThetaA)

5. Aug 25, 2013 #4
    It will be a lot easier to find the components of each vector, then add them component-wise, then find the magnitude and direction of the resultant.

6. Aug 25, 2013 #5
    Thanks! You're right that was easier. I got it :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted