1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics question 1 (question about mass)

1. Sep 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Alrighty then :smile:

I still cannot get used to texts that use lbf (lb force) and lbm (lb mass) and just plain old lb.
    Metric is bomb.

I am trying to find the power needed too overcome drag and rolling resistance forces from this given info.

[itex]F_r=f\cdot W[/itex]=Rolling resistance force
    [itex]F_d=C_dA\frac{1}{2}\rho v^2[/itex]=Drag force
    Power=[itex]P=F\cdot V[/itex]
    Area=A=23.3 sq ft
    weight=[itex]w=3550lbf[/itex] <------how do I convert this term properly? I think I NEED TO

So, if P=F*V Total power is the sum of this product.

[tex]P=(\sum F)\cdot V[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow P=(f*w+C_dA\frac{1}{2}\rho v^2)v[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow P=(.02*3550lbf+.34*23.3ft^2*\frac{1}{2}*.08\frac{lb}{ft^3}*55^2\frac{mi^2}{h^2}*5280^2\frac{ft^2}{mi^2}*\frac{h^2}{3600^2s^s})*(55\frac{mi}{h}*\frac{5280ft}{mi}*\frac{h}{3600s})[/tex]

I cannot tell what to do with that "lbf" ? I know that tyhis is really simple, but I am not used to these units :redface:

Little help? Thanks!!

EDIT: Is a lbf just a lbm*ft/s^2 ? I am assuming that density is given in lbm even though it does not specify...
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2008 #2
    Don't worry guys. I think I got it :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?