Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which Calculator is Right for Me?

Tags:
  1. Aug 23, 2013 #1
    I need a new calculator for Highschool. I am looking at either the TI-84 Plus Color Silver Edition, TI-89 Titanium or the TI-Nspire CX CAS. I plane to major in computer sciences and become a programmer so I am looking for a calculator that is good for programming. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2013 #2
    A Ti graphing calculator (don't know the number, sorry) should suit you fine for highschool, and I believe you can program stuff for them as well.

4. Sep 11, 2013 #3
    Have you considered an HP RPN calculator like HP48G+ or similar, why just TI? You'll find that RPN is more intuitive to use. I assume TI allows either mode of operation algebraic or RPN?

Side note here... don't focus on being a programmer. Programmers are people that do the tasks for the Software Architect. Here read this article.
    http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/39284/whats-the-difference-between-a-software-architect-a-software-engineer-and-a-so

5. Sep 11, 2013 #4
    What is the difference between HP and TI and what is RPN?

6. Sep 11, 2013 #5
    RPN = reverse polish notation

HP is the Gold Standard when it comes to calculators, TI is not.

7. Sep 11, 2013 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Got your first lesson in computer science: RPN v. algebraic

8. Sep 12, 2013 #7
    But why is HP better?

9. Sep 12, 2013 #8
    So I should focus on Software Arcitect more than Programming? Why is it better?

10. Feb 17, 2015 #9

CalcNerd

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Buy the Ti-89. The Ti-83/84 does not deal with logic operators or have HEX, Dec, BIN conversions built in. The Ti nspire is locked down and not available for advanced programming to avoid programs that could allow the student to cheat. Hence out of your three options, only the Ti-89 is a viable candidate.

You should probably avoid Hp as its programming is quite different than anything you have seen and not used by anyone but Hp. However, Hp now offers the new Hp Prime which is NOT RPN (well not out of box anyway). It is comparable the Ti Nspire, but more open.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook