Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tidal Energy - Cobscook Bay, Maine

1. Aug 26, 2012 #1

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

We have noted (see references below) using wave and tidal energy, along the US coast as a clean energy source. This is especially feasible in places like Maine where there are very steep tidal fluctuations (I've experience them first-hand, VERRY STEEP :surprised). So this summer they are fixing to do just that, in Cobscook Bay near Eastport ME.

Maine Deploys First U.S. Commercial, Grid-Connected Tidal Energy Project, July 24, 2012
    Tidal energy project hailed at dedication, The Quoddy Tides (news source - Eastport, ME), July 27, 2012
    Previous PF references --
    ref: pf topic: Which alternative fuels do you support? Jun 29, 2007, post #35

ref: pf topic: "Business and government 100 years ago", Oct14, 2010, post #6

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2012 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Maine has some tremendous tides, especially along the Bay of Fundy. There is no reason not to exploit them. We have very high winds on Appalachian ridge-lines, but there are nimbys who say wind turbines would ruin the view. The view is already being obscured by haze from midwest power plants, and I would much rather see clean renewable power replacing coal.

4. Aug 27, 2012 #3

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Indeed, these green energy sources are there for any community with the courage to make use of them.
    I believe these tidal turbines at the Bay of Fundy will become a shining example for others to follow.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook