Tidal force in the sci-fi book "The Integral Trees"

In summary, "The Integral Trees" by Larry Niven is a science fiction novel that takes place in a solar system with a neutron star and giant trees resembling integral symbols. The humans and creatures living on the trees experience a small tidal force due to the gravitational pull of the neutron star. The novel explores the role of individuals in a technological society and includes themes from Huxley and Orwell. Despite some scientific inaccuracies, the book is highly praised.
AnneLysa
Tidal force in the sci-fi book "The Integral Trees"

Hi
I'm doing an eksamen exercise for tomorrow about the science fiction book "The Inetgral Trees" by Larry Niven and tidal forces. One of the quiestions are if it is realistic with a tidal force at 1/5g (little italic g - g-force, not gram) at one of the trees (it is big trees looking like integral symbols from another solar system http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integral_Trees) and I really don't understand how to do. So I hoped maybe some of you know it. It would be such a big help. And it's urgent

And sorry for my bad english. I'm danish

Sorry I posted it twice.

Physics news on Phys.org
Eleven years later (July 2019) I can attempt a response in order to move this from Unanswered Threads.

I read Niven's "The Integral Trees" (1984) and sequel "The Smoke Ring" many years ago. Despite the title and Niven's reputation for introducing physics into fiction, the novels are concerned with the role of individuals in technological society with at least a nod to Huxley and Orwell.

The descendants of abandoned crew members from a Soviet spacecraft end as slaves after many adventures among the Trees. The author could be comparing working in an office cubicle to a slave pedaling an exercycle to produce electricity for their masters.

If memory serves, gravity and breathable atmosphere derive from the neutron star with contributions from Goldblatt's World. Though very long and massive, the integral trees provide almost no gravity to human senses. The humans and "tri-foil" creatures essentially live in free fall subject to tidal forces from this odd system. Note the important life-lines when people travel and "feed the tree". Tidal forces vary greatly from one end of a tree to the other.

The author spends much ink describing directions and orientation living in trees around a neutron star while glossing over radiation and other hazards. Good book IMO.

Last edited:
Likes Anachronist

1. What is the concept of "Tidal force" in "The Integral Trees"?

In "The Integral Trees", the concept of "Tidal force" refers to the gravitational force between two celestial bodies, such as a planet and its moon. This force causes the ocean tides on Earth, but in the book, it plays a crucial role in shaping the environment of the Ribbon, a giant gas torus that the characters live in.

2. How does "Tidal force" affect the characters in "The Integral Trees"?

The characters in "The Integral Trees" have evolved to adapt to the constant changes in gravity caused by the tidal force of the gas torus. They are able to move and navigate through the environment using specialized organs and appendages that allow them to cling to different surfaces and even "fly" through the air.

3. Is "Tidal force" a scientifically accurate concept in "The Integral Trees"?

While the concept of "Tidal force" is based on real scientific principles, the way it is portrayed in "The Integral Trees" is more fantastical and exaggerated. The characters' ability to adapt to extreme changes in gravity is not possible in real life, but it adds to the unique and imaginative world of the book.

4. How does "Tidal force" impact the plot and conflict in "The Integral Trees"?

The constantly changing tidal force in the Ribbon creates a dangerous and unpredictable environment for the characters. This adds tension and danger to their journey and affects their decisions and actions. The tidal force also plays a role in the larger conflict of the story, as it is linked to the mysterious origins of the Ribbon and its inhabitants.

5. Can "Tidal force" be applied to other sci-fi stories?

Yes, the concept of "Tidal force" has been explored in other science fiction stories, often in the context of space travel and colonization of other planets. It is a fascinating concept that can be used to create unique and imaginative worlds and add an element of danger to the plot.