Time Between max speed and max acceleration on a spring

In summary, an object attached to a horizontal spring oscillates back and forth on a frictionless surface with a maximum speed of 1.16 m/s and maximum acceleration of 6.52 m/s^2. To find the time between when the speed is at its maximum and when the acceleration is at its maximum, you can use the equations v = -Aωsin(ωt) and a = -Aω^2cos(ωt). By solving for ω using the given values for v and a, and understanding the relationship between the maximum values of sine and cosine curves, you can determine the time between the two instants.
Hypnos_16

Homework Statement

An object attached to a horizontal spring is oscillating back and forth along a frictionless surface. The maximum speed of the object is 1.16 m/s, and its maximum acceleration is 6.52 m/s2. How much time elapses between an instant when the object's speed is at a maximum and the next instant when its acceleration is at a maximum?

Vmax = 1.16m/s
Amax = 6.52m/s^2

Homework Equations

I'm not sure of any equations that would compare these two variables, or that would cancel one or another out.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have an attempt at this one. Sorry.

Physics news on Phys.org
What sort of motion does a mass-spring system undergo?

Hi Hypnos_16! :smile:

(have an omega: ω and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

Hint: what is the general equation for such a motion? :wink:

Well for max Speed it's v = Aω and for Acceleration it's a = Aω2 or at least, those are the two we've been taught

Exactly! :smile:

soooo … ? :wink:

Hypnos_16 said:
Well for max Speed it's v = Aω and for Acceleration it's a = Aω2 or at least, those are the two we've been taught

Yes, but where did they come from? What's the equation of motion?

Speed is v = -Awsin(wt)
Acceleration is a = -Aw2cos(wt)
Okay, but how does this help? I don't see how anything would cancel, or how this benefits me.

Hypnos_16 said:
Speed is v = -Awsin(wt)
Acceleration is a = -Aw2cos(wt)
Okay, but how does this help? I don't see how anything would cancel, or how this benefits me.

Drawing a graph should help you figure it out.

Draw a single vertical axis, and three horizontal axes through it. On the top horizontal axis, graph position as a function of time. On the 2nd horizontal axis, graph the equation you show for v(t). And on the bottom axis, graph a(t).

Now do you see where the max value(s) of each is, and why it is there?

Hypnos_16 said:
Vmax = 1.16m/s
Amax = 6.52m/s^2
Hypnos_16 said:
Well for max Speed it's v = Aω and for Acceleration it's a = Aω2

soooo … ??

tiny-tim said:
soooo … ??

then i assume things will start to cancel
a = aω2
6.52m/s2 = aω2
so if i square root both sides i have
2.55m/s = aω

and for speed
v = aω
so 1.16m/s also = aω
so... have i gone completely off track here?

Hypnos_16 said:
6.52m/s2 = aω2
2.55m/s = aω

nooooo :redface: :cry:

Then help me out! I'm not getting it.

You have Aω, and you have Aω2,

so ω = … ?​

Hypnos_16 said:
then i assume things will start to cancel
a = aω2
6.52m/s2 = aω2
2.55m/s = aωand for speed
v = aω
so 1.16m/s also = aω
so... have i gone completely off track here?

Gaaaa! Why are you using "a" for two different variables? It's a and A!

Write your two equations. You're given a and v. Solve for A and ω. Or just ω, since that's really all you'll need to move forward.

sooooo would it be Aω2 / Aω
leaving just a ω left over?

yes! :biggrin:

is everything ok now?

Hypnos_16 said:
sooooo would it be Aω2 / Aω
leaving just a ω left over?

Sure. Now, what are you going to do with that? Can you put a value to it?

Okay so i have ω now, and when i sub that into the equation of v = -Aωsin(ωt), what do i put as my v? I have A and ω and everything, but if i use the max speed for v than it's going to be odd.

Hypnos_16 said:
Okay so i have ω now, and when i sub that into the equation of v = -Aωsin(ωt), what do i put as my v? I have A and ω and everything, but if i use the max speed for v than it's going to be odd.

You first have to decide what it is that you want to find next. Go back tot he problem statement and see what it's looking for.

Hypnos_16 said:
… but if i use the max speed for v than it's going to be odd.

You don't need the max speed for v, you only need the times.

I got the max speed took 0.279s to reach, and I'm trying to do the acceleration, but when i try using a = -Aω2cos(ωt) i keep getting 1 = cos(5.62t) and the cos-1 of 1 is 0. What have i messed up this time?

Hypnos_16 said:
I got the max speed took 0.279s to reach, and I'm trying to do the acceleration, but when i try using a = -Aω2cos(ωt) i keep getting 1 = cos(5.62t) and the cos-1 of 1 is 0. What have i messed up this time?

You need to take a small step back from working the math and consider the physical situation and how it relates to the formulas you're using.

The expressions for the velocity and acceleration are sine and cosine curves, right? At what angles do these functions hit their maximum magnitudes (that is, +/- extremes)?

What is the angular offset between when one is maximized and the other is maximized?

Hi Hypnos_16! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)

You're over-thinking this!

As gneill :smile: says …
gneill said:
You need to take a small step back …

Draw the curve, then pretend you're explaining the question to a six-year-old kid (no maths)! :wink:

Last edited:

1. What is the relationship between max speed and max acceleration on a spring?

The max speed and max acceleration on a spring are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the maximum speed of the spring increases, the maximum acceleration also increases.

2. How does the mass of the object affect the time between max speed and max acceleration on a spring?

The mass of the object on the spring does not affect the time between max speed and max acceleration. It only affects the amplitude and frequency of the oscillations.

3. Can the time between max speed and max acceleration on a spring be calculated?

Yes, the time between max speed and max acceleration on a spring can be calculated using the formula t=2π√(m/k), where t is the time, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant.

4. Does the length of the spring affect the time between max speed and max acceleration?

No, the length of the spring does not affect the time between max speed and max acceleration. It only affects the frequency of the oscillations.

5. How does the spring constant affect the time between max speed and max acceleration on a spring?

The spring constant affects the time between max speed and max acceleration on a spring by determining the stiffness of the spring. A higher spring constant results in a shorter time between max speed and max acceleration, while a lower spring constant results in a longer time.