Time-Dependent Frequency Harmonic Oscillator

In summary, the problem is to find the time dependence of the ground state energy for an harmonic oscillator with a time-dependent frequency given by \omega (t)=\omega_0 * \exp^{- \lambda t}, where \lambda << 1. To solve this, we can use time-dependent perturbation theory and the relevant equations for this are H=H_{0} + V(t) and H_{0} = \frac{p^2}{2m} + \frac{1}{2} m \omega_{0}^{2} x^{2}. By using the power series expansion for \lambda << 1, we can express the potential as V(t) = - \frac{1}{2} m
canbula

Homework Statement

Consider an harmonic oscillator with time-dependent frequency as:
[itex]\omega (t)=\omega_0 * \exp^{- \lambda t}[/itex]
Find the time dependence of the ground state energy of this oscillator for [itex]\lambda << 1[/itex] situation.

Homework Equations

[itex]H=H_{0} + V(t)[/itex]
[itex]H_{0} = \frac{p^2}{2m} + \frac{1}{2} m \omega_{0}^{2} x^{2}[/itex]
and if we use the power series expansion for [itex]\lambda << 1[/itex] we get
[itex]V(t) = - \frac{1}{2} m \omega_{0}^2 \lambda t x^{2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I should use the time-dependent perturbation theory, but I am not good at it. So I need some help to solve this problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What are the relevant equations for time dependent perturbation theory?

sorry I added them to my original post

next, how do we express the energy eigenvalues in time-dependent perturbation theory? ;)

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concept of time-dependent perturbation theory. This theory allows us to calculate the time evolution of a quantum system when there is a time-dependent perturbation present. In this case, the time-dependent perturbation is the changing frequency of the harmonic oscillator.

To find the time dependence of the ground state energy, we can start by using the Schrödinger equation to determine the time evolution of the ground state wavefunction. We can then use the time-dependent perturbation theory to calculate the energy shift caused by the time-dependent frequency.

Using the given harmonic oscillator Hamiltonian, we can write the Schrödinger equation as:

i\hbar \frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial t} = \left[ \frac{p^2}{2m} + \frac{1}{2} m \omega (t)^2 x^2 \right] \Psi

We can then expand the time-dependent frequency term using the given power series expansion:

\omega (t) = \omega_0 * \exp^{- \lambda t} = \omega_0 * (1 - \lambda t + \frac{\lambda^2 t^2}{2!} - ...)

Plugging this into the Schrödinger equation, we get:

i\hbar \frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial t} = \left[ \frac{p^2}{2m} + \frac{1}{2} m \omega_0^2 (1 - \lambda t + \frac{\lambda^2 t^2}{2!} - ...) x^2 \right] \Psi

Now, we can use the time-dependent perturbation theory to calculate the energy shift caused by the time-dependent frequency. The first-order energy shift is given by:

\Delta E^{(1)} = \langle \Psi_0 | V(t) | \Psi_0 \rangle

where \Psi_0 is the ground state wavefunction and V(t) is the time-dependent potential. Using the given potential, we get:

\Delta E^{(1)} = - \frac{1}{2} m \omega_0^2 \lambda t \langle \Psi_0 | x^2 | \Psi_0 \rangle

Since the ground state wavefunction is an even function, we can write:

\langle \Psi_0 | x

1. What is a Time-Dependent Frequency Harmonic Oscillator?

A Time-Dependent Frequency Harmonic Oscillator is a physical system that exhibits periodic motion in which the restoring force is proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position and the frequency of oscillation varies with time.

2. How does a Time-Dependent Frequency Harmonic Oscillator differ from a simple Harmonic Oscillator?

A simple Harmonic Oscillator has a constant frequency of oscillation, while a Time-Dependent Frequency Harmonic Oscillator has a varying frequency. This can be caused by external factors such as changing forces or an internal mechanism that alters the restoring force.

3. What are some real-life examples of Time-Dependent Frequency Harmonic Oscillators?

Some common examples of Time-Dependent Frequency Harmonic Oscillators include a swing, a pendulum with a changing length, and a guitar string that is being plucked. These systems all exhibit periodic motion with a varying frequency.

4. How is the frequency of a Time-Dependent Frequency Harmonic Oscillator calculated?

The frequency of a Time-Dependent Frequency Harmonic Oscillator can be calculated using the equation f = 1/(2π√(k/m)), where k is the spring constant and m is the mass of the oscillating object. However, in a Time-Dependent Frequency Harmonic Oscillator, the spring constant and mass may also vary with time, making the calculation more complex.

5. What are the applications of Time-Dependent Frequency Harmonic Oscillators in science?

Time-Dependent Frequency Harmonic Oscillators have various applications in science, including in the study of waves, vibrations, and resonance. They are also used in the design and analysis of mechanical systems, such as in the development of shock absorbers and suspension systems for vehicles.