Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time derivative of relativistic momentum

1. Jan 11, 2009 #1
    Did I understand correctly that relativistic momentum is

[tex]p(t) = m\cdot\gamma(t)\cdot v(t)[/tex],​

where [itex]\gamma = c/\sqrt{c^2-v^2}[/itex] and [itex]c[/itex] is the speed of light? For the fun of it I wrote down the time derivative and got

[tex]{d\over dt}p(t) = \gamma^3(t)\cdot a(t)[/tex]​

with [itex]a(t) = d v(t)/dt[/itex]. Yet I cannot find the funny exponent of 3 of a [itex]\gamma[/itex] anywhere in a book. Am I missing a trivial transformation of [itex]\gamma^3 a[/itex] into a better known form? Or is it that the time derivative of relativistic momentum is not an important concept, which is why I did not come across this formula before?

Additional question: is [itex]p[/itex] as define above is a conserved quantity?

:surprised
    Harald.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2009 #2

AEM

Gold Member

4. Jan 11, 2009 #3

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, the mass is constant. It's the relativistic mass (=[itex]\gamma m[/itex]) that isn't constant.

Birulami, your calculation is fine, and yes, the p you have defined is conserved. I don't know why you can't find it in a book. One possible reason is that it's often convenient to talk about rapidity instead of velocity when you're describing the motion of an accelerating particle. E.g. in post #15 in this thread, the ^3 appears on a hyperbolic function (eq. 12).

You may also find the calculation I did in #15 in this thread interesting.

5. Jan 11, 2009 #4

AEM

Gold Member

You're right, I plead temporary brain lapse. The mass is constant. [tex] \gamma [/tex] ensures that m is the rest mass.

6. Jan 11, 2009 #5

clem

Science Advisor

[tex]\frac{d\bf p}{dt}= m\frac{d}{dt}\left[\frac{\bf v}
    {\sqrt{1-{\bf v}^2}}\right]
    = m[\gamma{\bf a}+\gamma^3{\bf v(v\cdot a)}]
    =m\gamma^3[{\bf a}+{\bf v\times(v\times a)}][/tex].
    with c=1. Either final form is useful.
    dp/dt is important, and is discussed in advanced texts.

7. Jan 12, 2009 #6
    Indeed. I'll take a closer look. Thanks,
    Harald.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?