Time derivative of vector potential - indices help

In summary: To make the notation more compact, we can replace the subscript j with an index that goes from 1 to 3 or 1 to 2 or 1 to whatever (for the 3 dimensions, we use the greek index \alpha).So the same equation can be written as:\dfrac{dA^\alpha}{dt} = \dfrac{\partial A^\alpha}{\partial x^\beta} v^\beta + \dfrac{\partial A^\alpha}{\partial t}This is equivalent to:\dfrac{dA_\alpha}{dt} = \dfrac{\partial A_\alpha}{\partial x_\beta} v_\beta + \dfrac{\partial A_\alpha}{\
Dixanadu
Hey guys,

So I'm reading something about vector potentials and I've come across this one line which is really annyoing me. Here's how it goes

[itex]\frac{d}{dt}\mathbf{A}=\frac{\partial \mathbf{A}}{\partial t}+\frac{\partial \mathbf{r}}{\partial t}\cdot \frac{\partial }{\partial \mathbf{r}}\mathbf{A}{}[/itex]

So everything is fine so far. Now he goes on to say the same thing in index form - so you can find any given component of the derivative. So he writes

[itex]\frac{d}{dt}A_{i}=\frac{\partial A_{i}}{\partial t}+\frac{\partial r_{j}}{\partial t}\cdot\frac{\partial}{\partial r_{j}}A_{i}[/itex]

And he says "where a sum over repeated indices is implied". And this is where I get lost. I don't understand the summation over j. Say for instance [itex]\mathbf{r}[/itex] had 3 components, [itex]r_{1},r_{2},r_{3}[/itex]. Does this mean that

[itex]\frac{d}{dt}A_{i}=\frac{\partial A_{i}}{\partial t}+(\frac{\partial r_{1}}{\partial t}\cdot\frac{\partial}{\partial r_{1}}+\frac{\partial r_{2}}{\partial t}\cdot\frac{\partial}{\partial r_{2}}+\frac{\partial r_{3}}{\partial t}\cdot\frac{\partial}{\partial r_{3}})A_{i}[/itex]?

Thanks a lot guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
so what i wrote..was it right or wrong?

Dixanadu said:
so what i wrote..was it right or wrong?

Looks right, what do you think?

That's what I don't get...how does this work? how can one component of A involve the derivatives of all the components of [itex]\mathbf{r}[/itex]?

Dixanadu said:
That's what I don't get...how does this work? how can one component of A involve the derivatives of all the components of [itex]\mathbf{r}[/itex]?
The problem is not with the second and third equations, it is with the first equation. The symbology is unconventional. In this equation, dr/dt is supposed to be the velocity vector. The expression [itex]\frac{\partial \vec{A}}{\partial \vec{r}}[/itex] is supposed to be [itex]\nabla \vec{A}=\vec{i_{\alpha}}\vec{i_{\beta}}\frac{\partial A_{\alpha}}{\partial r_{\beta}}[/itex]

Last edited:
Umm. Whats [itex]\vec{i}_{\alpha}\vec{i}_{\beta}\frac{\partial A_{\alpha}}{\partial r_{\beta}}[/itex]? what are these [itex]i[/itex]'s?

Dixanadu said:
Umm. Whats [itex]\vec{i}_{\alpha}\vec{i}_{\beta}\frac{\partial A_{\alpha}}{\partial r_{\beta}}[/itex]? what are these [itex]i[/itex]'s?
Unit vectors. Del of a vector is a second order tensor, and can be written as a summation involving dyadic (outer) products of unit vectors (unit vectors placed in juxtaposition, with no operation implied between them).

riiiiiiight...could you somehow simplify that explanation to an undergraduate's level? T_T

[itex]\nabla \vec{A}=\vec{i_{1}}\vec{i_{1}}\frac{\partial A_{1}}{\partial r_{1}}+\vec{i_{1}}\vec{i_{2}}\frac{\partial A_{2}}{\partial r_{1}}+\vec{i_{1}}\vec{i_{3}}\frac{\partial A_{3}}{\partial r_{1}}+\vec{i_{2}}\vec{i_{1}}\frac{\partial A_{1}}{\partial r_{2}}+\vec{i_{2}}\vec{i_{2}}\frac{\partial A_{2}}{\partial r_{2}}+\vec{i_{2}}\vec{i_{3}}\frac{\partial A_{3}}{\partial r_{2}}+\vec{i_{3}}\vec{i_{1}}\frac{\partial A_{1}}{\partial r_{3}}+\vec{i_{3}}\vec{i_{2}}\frac{\partial A_{2}}{\partial r_{3}}+\vec{i_{3}}\vec{i_{3}}\frac{\partial A_{3}}{\partial r_{3}}[/itex]
[itex]\vec{v}\centerdot \nabla \vec{A}=(v_1\vec{i_1}+v_2\vec{i_2}+v_3\vec{i_3})\centerdot (\vec{i_{1}}\vec{i_{1}}\frac{\partial A_{1}}{\partial r_{1}}+\vec{i_{1}}\vec{i_{2}}\frac{\partial A_{2}}{\partial r_{1}}+\vec{i_{1}}\vec{i_{3}}\frac{\partial A_{3}}{\partial r_{1}}+\vec{i_{2}}\vec{i_{1}}\frac{\partial A_{1}}{\partial r_{2}}+\vec{i_{2}}\vec{i_{2}}\frac{\partial A_{2}}{\partial r_{2}}+\vec{i_{2}}\vec{i_{3}}\frac{\partial A_{3}}{\partial r_{2}}+\vec{i_{3}}\vec{i_{1}}\frac{\partial A_{1}}{\partial r_{3}}+\vec{i_{3}}\vec{i_{2}}\frac{\partial A_{2}}{\partial r_{3}}+\vec{i_{3}}\vec{i_{3}}\frac{\partial A_{3}}{\partial r_{3}})[/itex]
[itex]\vec{v}\centerdot \nabla \vec{A}=(v_1\frac{\partial A_1}{\partial r_1}+v_2\frac{\partial A_1}{\partial r_2}+v_3\frac{\partial A_1}{\partial r_3})\vec{i_1}+(v_1\frac{\partial A_2}{\partial r_1}+v_2\frac{\partial A_2}{\partial r_2}+v_3\frac{\partial A_2}{\partial r_3})\vec{i_2}+(v_1\frac{\partial A_3}{\partial r_1}+v_2\frac{\partial A_3}{\partial r_2}+v_3\frac{\partial A_3}{\partial r_3})\vec{i_3}[/itex]

The way dyadics work is summarized as follows: [itex]\vec{a} \centerdot \vec{b}\vec{c}=(\vec{a} \centerdot \vec{b})\vec{c}[/itex]
Incidentally, I made mistake in my earlier post. The correct equation should have been:
[itex]\nabla \vec{A}=\vec{i_{\alpha}}\vec{i_{\beta}}\frac{\partial A_{\beta}}{\partial r_{\alpha}}[/itex] with the summation convention implied.

I'm not sure exactly which part you are having conceptual problems with, but let me make the problem a little simpler to start with, just to motivate the concept of a directional derivative.

Suppose that you are driving along a highway that runs from, say, Texas to Canada. Let [itex]T(x, t)[/itex] be the temperature at a distance [itex]x[/itex] from the start at time [itex]t[/itex]. How does the temperature outside your car change as you drive along?

Well, there are two reasons that the temperature might change:
  1. You could be traveling into a region with colder temperatures.
  2. The weather could be changing.

So suppose you drive from the point [itex]x[/itex] at time [itex]t[/itex] to the point [itex]x + \delta x[/itex] at time [itex]t + \delta t[/itex]. The change in temperature outside your car is:

[itex]\delta T = T(x+\delta x, t+\delta t) - T(x,t)[/itex]

which is approximately:

[itex]\delta T = \dfrac{\partial T}{\partial x} \delta x + \dfrac{\partial T}{\partial t} \delta t[/itex]

The rate of change of temperature is

[itex]\dfrac{dT}{dt} = \dfrac{\delta T}{\delta t} = \dfrac{\partial T}{\partial x} \dfrac{\delta x}{\delta t} + \dfrac{\partial T}{\partial t}[/itex]

The quantity [itex]\dfrac{\delta x}{\delta t}[/itex] is just the velocity component [itex]v^x[/itex]. So we have:

[itex]\dfrac{dT}{dt} = \dfrac{\partial T}{\partial x} v^x + \dfrac{\partial T}{\partial t}[/itex]

We were only considering one-dimensional motion. If you are traveling in 3 directions, then the generalization is:

[itex]\dfrac{dT}{dt} = \dfrac{\partial T}{\partial x} v^x + \dfrac{\partial T}{\partial y} v^y + \dfrac{\partial T}{\partial z} v^z + \dfrac{\partial T}{\partial t}[/itex]

This is written more compactly as:

[itex]\dfrac{dT}{dt} = \dfrac{\partial T}{\partial x^i} v^i + \dfrac{\partial T}{\partial t}[/itex]

where [itex]\dfrac{\partial T}{\partial x^i} v^i [/itex] means [itex]\dfrac{\partial T}{\partial x} v^x + \dfrac{\partial T}{\partial y} v^y + \dfrac{\partial T}{\partial z} v^z[/itex]

If instead of a scalar number [itex]T[/itex], you are considering changes to a vector quantity [itex]A^j[/itex], then each component will change in the same way:

[itex]\dfrac{dA^j}{dt} = \dfrac{\partial A^j}{\partial x^i} v^i + \dfrac{\partial A^j}{\partial t}[/itex]

In the above equation, [itex]A^j[/itex] means [itex]A^x[/itex] or [itex]A^y[/itex] or [itex]A^z[/itex].

Likes 1 person
wow yea i get it now...i see what you mean, cos each component of the vector depends on all three components of velocity, that's why there's a summation...yea that's what was confusing me. Your explanation rocks man, thanks a lot ! :D

1. What is the time derivative of vector potential?

The time derivative of vector potential refers to the rate of change of the vector potential with respect to time. It is denoted by the symbol ∂A/∂t and is used in electromagnetic field theory to describe the changes in the magnetic field over time.

2. How is the time derivative of vector potential calculated?

The time derivative of vector potential can be calculated using the Maxwell's equations and the Lorentz gauge. Specifically, it is given by the formula ∂A/∂t = -∂Φ/∂t, where Φ represents the scalar potential.

3. What is the physical significance of the time derivative of vector potential?

The time derivative of vector potential is important in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic fields over time. It helps us to predict and analyze how the magnetic field changes in response to varying currents or charges.

4. How do indices help in calculating the time derivative of vector potential?

Indices are used to represent the different components of the vector potential in different directions. This allows for a more precise calculation of the time derivative, taking into account the directional changes of the vector potential.

5. What are some practical applications of the time derivative of vector potential?

The time derivative of vector potential is used in various fields, such as electrical engineering, physics, and geophysics. It is particularly useful in analyzing and designing electrical circuits, understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves, and studying the Earth's magnetic field.