Time dilation and interstellar travel

In summary, the conversation discusses plans to send a spaceship from Earth to a nearby star 10 light-years away with a year's worth of life support. The question asks for the minimum speed of the spaceship relative to the Earth-star system for the crew to survive the trip, using the time dilation equation. The correct answer is 0.99c, but the book contains two mistakes. The minimum speed necessary for the trip if time were not dilated is 10c.
Fewmet

Homework Statement

Plans are made to send a spaceship from Earth to a nearby star 10 light-years away and at rest with respect to Earth. The light support systems within the spacecraft will last for a year. (a) what is the minimum speed of the spacecraft relative to the Earth-star system if the crew is to survive the trip? (b) If time we mot dilated, what minimum speed would be necessary for the trip?

Homework Equations

the time dilation equation

The Attempt at a Solution

a)From an observer on Earth, the velocity of the ship is the rest length (10 ly) divided by the relativistic time corresponding to the 10 years of life support.
v=L0/[itex]\gamma[/itex]T

v=10 ly/[itex]\gamma[/itex]10y

Solving, I get v=0.707c

The back of the book (which has had two mistakes this chapter) says v=0.99c for part a.

Is my initial equation in error?

b) It looks to me like the answer is v=10 ly/y=c. The book's answer is 10c.

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind: it was a stupid mistake. I transcribed the problem correctly, but I got into my head that the rest time was 10 years, not the given 1 year.

It is good to know my method worked. It was kind of cool to need to substitute a rest length and a relativistic time into a classical equation.

1. What is time dilation and how does it occur in interstellar travel?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass at a different rate for two observers in relative motion. In the context of interstellar travel, this occurs because as an object moves closer to the speed of light, time slows down for that object relative to a stationary observer. This means that time will pass slower for a traveler on a fast-moving spacecraft than it would for someone on Earth.

2. How does time dilation affect the aging process during interstellar travel?

Due to time dilation, a traveler on a fast-moving spacecraft will experience time passing slower than it would on Earth. This means that when the traveler returns to Earth, they would have aged less compared to someone who remained on Earth the entire time. This effect is known as the "twin paradox" and has been demonstrated through experiments with atomic clocks on fast-moving planes and satellites.

3. Can time dilation be reversed during interstellar travel?

No, time dilation is a fundamental aspect of Einstein's theory of relativity and cannot be reversed. It is a consequence of the fact that the speed of light is constant for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This means that time dilation will always occur when an object is moving at high speeds, and there is no way to reverse or avoid it.

4. Is time dilation the only factor to consider for interstellar travel?

No, there are many other factors to consider for interstellar travel, such as the effects of gravity, acceleration, and the limitations of our current technology. Time dilation is just one aspect that must be taken into account when planning and executing interstellar missions.

5. Can time dilation be observed in everyday life?

Yes, time dilation is a real phenomenon that has been observed and confirmed through experiments. However, the effects are only noticeable at extremely high speeds or in the presence of strong gravitational fields. In everyday life, the differences in time dilation are too small to be noticeable, but they are taken into account in technologies such as GPS, which relies on precise time measurements for accuracy.