Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time elapsed for watch with crystal normal or parallel to g

1. Mar 10, 2007 #1
    What is the approximate fractional difference in time measured between a quartz watch crystal resonating either normally or parallelly to earth's surface gravitation?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2007 #2

Mentz114

Gold Member

Quartz is an extremely stiff material and will deform very little in the earth's weak gravity. I doubt if the difference would be measurable except under the most stringent lab conditions.

4. Mar 10, 2007 #3
    I was thinking more in the way of an experimental test of general relativity which affects the simplified quantum mechanics, thus timing, of such a device. One could also orient a cesium clock in these relative positions.

5. Mar 10, 2007 #4

Mentz114

Gold Member

In my opinion, the orientation of a caesium clock will not affect its time keeping. The standard is based on measuring the frequency of light given by a certain energy transition of a Caesium atom. The direction of emission is random, although a photon 'falling' will have a higher frequency than one 'rising'. This experiment has already been done. All of this you know, of course.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?