Time evolution of coherent state with vacuum

In summary, the conversation discusses the time evolution of a state |ψ(t)⟩, starting from an initial state |ψ(0)⟩, using the Hamiltonian operator H and the exponential function. The conversation also mentions the use of the BCH formula to simplify the equation, but further simplification is desired.
deepalakshmi
TL;DR Summary
Here I am having a Hamiltonian as a†b + b†a and I want to evolve |0,α⟩ with e^(−iHt)
I have attached my work here. I don't know how to proceed further?

Attachments

• Adobe Scan 02 Aug 2021.pdf
    464.5 KB · Views: 135
Physics news on Phys.org
deepalakshmi said:
Summary:: Here I am having a Hamiltonian as a†b + b†a and I want to evolve |0,α⟩ with e^(−iHt)

I have attached my work here.
Attachments are not allowed. Please post your equations directly in the thread using the PF LaTeX feature. You will see a LaTeX Guide link at the bottom left of the post window.

The initial state is
##|ψ(0)⟩ = |0⟩ |α⟩##
The time evolved state is
##|ψ(t)⟩ = e^(−iHt) |0⟩|α⟩##
##|ψ(t)⟩ = e^(−iHt) e^(αa†−α∗a) |0⟩|0⟩##
##|ψ(t)⟩ = e^(−iHt) e^(αa†−α∗a)e^(−iHt) e^(iHt) |0⟩|0⟩##
##|ψ(t)⟩ = e^(−iHt) e^(αa†−α∗a)e^(iHt) |0⟩|0⟩##
Using BCH formula
##|ψ(t)⟩ = {e^(αa†−α∗a)+(-it)[ b†a+a†b, e^(αa†−α∗a)]+(it)^2{\2}[b†a+a†b,[b†a+a†b, e^(αa†−α∗a)]]+...}|0⟩|0⟩##
##|ψ(t)⟩={e^(αa†−α∗a)+(-it)((e^(αa†−α∗a) αb†+α∗b)+(it)^2{\2}((αa†−α∗a)+(αb†+α∗b)^2)e^(αa†−α∗a)+...}|0⟩|0⟩##
How to simplify further?

1. What is a coherent state?

A coherent state is a quantum state that describes the highest degree of classical-like behavior in a quantum system. It is characterized by having a well-defined phase and a minimum uncertainty in position and momentum.

2. How does a coherent state evolve over time?

The time evolution of a coherent state with vacuum can be described by the Schrödinger equation, which shows that the state will maintain its coherent properties and oscillate back and forth between position and momentum states.

3. What is the significance of studying the time evolution of coherent states with vacuum?

Studying the time evolution of coherent states with vacuum can provide insights into the behavior of quantum systems and their interactions with the vacuum. It is also relevant for understanding the dynamics of quantum systems in various fields such as quantum computing and quantum optics.

4. How is the time evolution of coherent states with vacuum experimentally observed?

The time evolution of coherent states with vacuum can be observed through experiments such as quantum interferometry, where the interference patterns of the coherent state are measured over time. Other techniques such as quantum tomography can also be used to observe the evolution of a coherent state.

5. Can coherent states with vacuum be used for practical applications?

Yes, coherent states with vacuum have practical applications in various fields such as quantum communication, quantum cryptography, and quantum metrology. They also play a crucial role in the development of quantum technologies such as quantum computers and quantum sensors.