1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time Evolution operator in Interaction Picture (Harmonic Oscillator)

1. Mar 13, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a time-dependent harmonic oscillator with Hamiltonian

[tex]\hat{H}(t)=\hat{H}_0+\hat{V}(t)[/tex]
    [tex]\hat{H}_0=\hbar \omega \left( \hat{a}^{\dagger}\hat{a}+\frac{1}{2} \right)[/tex]
    [tex]\hat{V}(t)=\lambda \left( e^{i\Omega t}\hat{a}^{\dagger}+e^{-i\Omega t}\hat{a} \right)[/tex]

(i) Compute ##\hat{U}_S(t,0)## using the interaction representation formula (Equation 1 in next section) to second order perturbation theory.
    (ii) Compute ##\hat{U}_S(t,0)## using (Equation 2 in next section) to second order perturbation theory

2. Relevant equations

EQUATION 1:
    [tex]U_I(t,0)=1-\frac{i}{\hbar}\int_0^t dt' V_I(t')+\left( \frac{-i}{\hbar} \right)^2 \int_0^t dt' \int_0^{t'} V_I(t')V_I(t'') + \dots[/tex]

EQUATION 2:

[tex]U(t,0)=1+\sum_{n=1}^{∞}\left( \frac{-i}{\hbar} \right)^n\int_0^t dt_1 \int_0^{t_1} dt_2 \dots \int_0^{t_{n-1}}dt_n H(t_1)H(t_2)\dots H(t_n)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

So I know that for the interaction picture the transformation of the operator ##\hat{V}_I## is..

[tex]\hat{V}_I=e^{\frac{i}{\hbar}\hat{H}_0 t} \hat{V} e^{\frac{-i}{\hbar}\hat{H}_0 t}[/tex]

I also know that both operators and kets evolve in time. So I use the interaction picture equation of motion on the ladder operators so I can obtain an expression for them as a function of time.

[tex]\frac{d\hat{a}}{dt}=\frac{1}{i\hbar}\left[ \hat{a},\hbar \omega \left( \hat{a}^{\dagger}\hat{a} + \frac{1}{2} \right) \right][/tex]

[tex]\frac{d\hat{a}^{\dagger}}{dt}=\frac{1}{i\hbar}\left[ \hat{a}^{\dagger},\hbar \omega \left( \hat{a}^{\dagger}\hat{a} + \frac{1}{2} \right) \right][/tex]

I then got..

[tex]\hat{a}(t)=\hat{a}(0)e^{-i\omega t}[/tex]
    [tex]\hat{a}^{\dagger}(t)=\hat{a}^{\dagger}(0)e^{i\omega t}[/tex]

I plugged these into the expression for V to get..

[tex]\hat{V}=\lambda \left[ \hat{a}^{\dagger}(0)e^{i(\Omega + \omega)t} + \hat{a}(0)e^{-i(\Omega + \omega)t} \right][/tex]

So now what needs to be done, is to transform this into the interaction picture and then plug it into Equation 1 from above and integrate. But this seems very messy and I am having doubts if this is the correct way to go about this problem.

If anyone can shed some light onto this I would really appreciate it!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2014 #2
    I'm pretty sure your very last line is V_I; you don't need to transform it any more. Just plug it into Equation 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted