1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time For A Car To Reach A Truck

1. Apr 26, 2012 #1
    The problems states as follows: A car traveling at 88 km/h is 110 m behind a truck traveling 15 km/h. How long will it take the car to reach the truck? I attached my solution to the
    problem, which is incorrect; though it is wrong, I was just wondering if any one could provide their interpretation of my attempt at this problem--that is, what did I actually solve for?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2012 #2
    While your method is correct, you have calculated the truck speed incorrectly. Truck speed is 15 kph not 75 kph.

4. Apr 26, 2012 #3
    I am dreadfully sorry, I copied down the problem wrong; the speed of the truck is supposed to be 75 km/h

5. Apr 27, 2012 #4
    What did you arrive at for a time?

6. Apr 27, 2012 #5
    I got 30.6 s--which is actually the answer. Well, this is rather embarrassing; I must have made some algebraic error the first time around calculating it, because I am getting the correct answer now. Sorry everybody, and thank you for your help.

7. Apr 27, 2012 #6
    Good...you are correct.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook