Time For A Car To Reach A Truck

In summary, the conversation revolved around a problem where a car traveling at 88 km/h was 110 m behind a truck traveling at 15 km/h, and the question was how long it would take for the car to reach the truck. The person who initially attempted the problem shared their solution, but it was incorrect. They wanted to know what they had actually solved for. Another person pointed out that the truck speed was actually 15 km/h, not 75 km/h. The initial person realized their mistake and recalculated, getting the correct answer of 30.6 seconds. They apologized for the error and thanked everyone for their help.
Bashyboy
The problems states as follows: A car traveling at 88 km/h is 110 m behind a truck traveling 15 km/h. How long will it take the car to reach the truck? I attached my solution to the
problem, which is incorrect; though it is wrong, I was just wondering if anyone could provide their interpretation of my attempt at this problem--that is, what did I actually solve for?

Attachments

• Physics forums.jpg
    Physics forums.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 695
Physics news on Phys.org
While your method is correct, you have calculated the truck speed incorrectly. Truck speed is 15 kph not 75 kph.

I am dreadfully sorry, I copied down the problem wrong; the speed of the truck is supposed to be 75 km/h

What did you arrive at for a time?

I got 30.6 s--which is actually the answer. Well, this is rather embarrassing; I must have made some algebraic error the first time around calculating it, because I am getting the correct answer now. Sorry everybody, and thank you for your help.

Good...you are correct.

Last edited:

What is the average time it takes for a car to reach a truck?

The average time for a car to reach a truck can vary depending on factors such as the speed of the car and the distance between the car and the truck. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes for a car to reach a truck.

What factors affect the time it takes for a car to reach a truck?

As mentioned before, the speed of the car and the distance between the car and the truck are two major factors that can affect the time it takes for a car to reach a truck. Other factors can include traffic conditions, road conditions, and the reaction time of the driver.

Is there a specific formula for calculating the time it takes for a car to reach a truck?

Yes, there is a formula for calculating the time it takes for a car to reach a truck. It is: Time = Distance / Speed. This formula can be used to calculate the time it takes for a car to reach a truck as long as the speed is constant.

How does the speed of the car affect the time it takes to reach a truck?

The speed of the car has a direct impact on the time it takes to reach a truck. The faster the car is traveling, the less time it will take to reach the truck. This is because the distance between the car and the truck decreases as the car travels at a higher speed.

Can the time it takes for a car to reach a truck be reduced?

Yes, the time it takes for a car to reach a truck can be reduced by increasing the speed of the car or decreasing the distance between the car and the truck. However, it is important to always prioritize safety and follow traffic laws while on the road.