1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time for boat to make two sets of displacements

1. Sep 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I would really appreciate if someone could check my work for this poblem b.c i seem to be getting the wrong answer.

Problem: A boat moves through a river at 6.1 m/s relative to the water, regardless of the boat's direction. If the water in the river is flowing at 2.4 m/s, how long does it take the boat to make a round trip consisting of a 246 m displacement downstream followed by a 194 m displacement upstream? Answer in units of seconds.

First, I used the pythagorean theorem to find the resultant vector- 6.555150647m/s. Then, used distance=Velocity * time . I plugged in 246m for distance and 2.4m/s for the velocity to get 102.5 sec for time. I did the same thing with the second displacement to get 183.3333333s for time. Then I added them together for a total time of 183.3333333s.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2008 #2

Gold Member

If its going down stream then up stream surly that means its going from A to B and then B to A.
    If its moving 6.1m/s relative to the water down stream it would be moving at 8.5m/s
    up stream it would be moving at 3.7m/s (unless it is taking 6.1m/s as its actual velocity, but then why would you have the speed of the water?).
  4. Sep 30, 2008 #3
    hmm i kinda follow, but how do you find the time?
  5. Oct 1, 2008 #4

Gold Member

With distance = velocity * time. If your having trouble with the boat moving relative to the water think of trying to measure the speed of a car from inside another moving car. If you were measuring car A (30mph) from car B (20mph) it would look like car A is going 10mph.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?