1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time for heating to equilibrium with constant heat flux

1. Jun 10, 2007 #1
    I have the following scenario and hope one of you can help me. I need to find an equation describing a heating process. A cylindrical metal of known dimensions and properties is heated from one side while the temperature of the other side is kept constant. I need to find the equation describing the temperature rise of the side being heated until it reaches equilibrium, so that from it, one can obtain a temperature time graph and know how long it takes to reach equilibrium.

Or rather does anyone know of an equation that can be used to describe how long a piece of metal being heated with constant heat flux takes to reach equilibrium temperature?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2007 #2
    Ok. If a constant amount of heat is supplied, then H=kA dt/dx=constant. Hdx=kA dt. Integrating from 0 to x and 0 to t. kA (t)=H(x). This would make it seem like the temperature varies linearly... with distance? Dunno... sorry cant be of much help...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?