1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time it takes for block to slide down an incline in elevator

1. Jan 31, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

MECHANICS:

Given Theta, L, M, and acceleration of elevator relative to ground. Find the time it takes for the block to reach the end of the incline.

Here is a diagram: http://k-elahian.com/tmp/nip.PNG [Broken]

2. Relevant equations
    f=ma
    kinematics
    relative acceleration

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've gotten 3 different answers so far. Basically I do f=ma for the m mass and then split it into x and y (slanted system) and then I relate the accelerations of the the bodes Amg=Ame+Aeg (ground is g and elevator is e).
    After finding Ame I use that in my kinematics equation.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2016 #2

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Your notation is a bit odd, what does Amg=Ame+Aeg mean exactly? What is the A? Can you explain what exactly you mean?

4. Jan 31, 2016 #3

Suraj M

Gold Member

I'm not sure if I understand what you've tried to do
    But start by calculating the pseudo force on the block due to the elevators Motion and also the other forces on it. I think you can proceed from there.
    You say you've got 3 answers
    Unless you state what were your answers, how should we judge if it's right or wrong?

5. Jan 31, 2016 #4

Suraj M

Gold Member

What does Aeg mean? Is that relative acceleration?

6. Jan 31, 2016 #5
    Yes,
    Amg is acceleration of m relative to g
    Aeg is acceleration of elevator relative to ground.
    Since I cannot use fictitious forces I need to use relative accelerations.

Amg=Ame+Aeg just shows that the a of the mass relative to the ground is the sum of the 2 relative accelerations vectors

7. Jan 31, 2016 #6

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, so what equation did you find pre-substitution?

8. Jan 31, 2016 #7

-mgsinΘ = mamgx for the x and -mgcosΘ+Fn=mamgy for the y
    are the x and y components of f=ma for the block, but I am using a slanted coordinate frame

9. Jan 31, 2016 #8

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, so I don't understand what you're trying to write.

Maybe it will help if we just look at an incline plane first without the added acceleration, If we rotate the coordinate axis ##\theta##, what's the acceleration down the plane in this case?

10. Jan 31, 2016 #9
    yeah I did that in the equation above. for the y, -mgcosΘ+Fn are the 2 forces acting on the block. (slanted frame). amgy just means the acceleration of the mass relative to the ground in the y direction

11. Jan 31, 2016 #10

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Why is there an acceleration in the y direction in the rotated coordinate system?

Hang with me for a second I'll get you to the answer, ignore the elevator for a second, what's the sum of the forces in the x and y looking only at an inclined plane?

12. Jan 31, 2016 #11
    Ok, It's just Fg and Fn. Those are the only 2 forces acting on the block.

for X: -mgsinΘ , no fn here and for Y: -mgcosΘ+Fn

13. Jan 31, 2016 #12

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

So ##mgsin(\theta)=ma## and ##N - mgcos(\theta) = 0##, correct?

You know why the y direction is in equilibrium when we rotate the system, correct?

14. Jan 31, 2016 #13
    Yes, if we were not in a elevator yes. But that would be a non-inertial frame so we can't do that, according to my teacher

15. Jan 31, 2016 #14

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, so if you now look back at the accelerating system relative to the plane, this time don't rotate your coordinate system and solve for ##a_{rel}## relative down the plane.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted