1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time of flight of projectile motion

1. Jun 28, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Why the time of vertical motion and horizontal motion of the projectile are the same ? I couldn't understand it. Could someone explain it ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2015 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What do you mean by the time is the same?

4. Jun 28, 2015 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I agree. You need to tell us what you mean by "time of vertical motion and horizontal motion" being the same. If you fire a projectile at an angle to the horizontal, the time that the projectile takes to reach its maximum height is (neglecting air resistance) the same at it takes to go back down again. That's simply because the vertical acceleration is the same in both directions. The time the projectile takes to "hit the ground" again is NOT the same as the time it takes to reach its maximum height but is the same as the total time to go up and back down. That just an obvious result of what "hit the ground again" means!

5. Jun 28, 2015 #4
    here's what i mean . Part ii
    I couldn't understand why the time of horizontal motion is same as the time

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  6. Jun 28, 2015 #5
    because they are using s as distance, its not the same as units of time s is seconds.

7. Jun 28, 2015 #6

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Clearly there can only be one time of flight.

It can't take less or more time to travel horizontally than it did vertically.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted