Time of flight of projectile motion

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
goldfish9776
Messages
310
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


Why the time of vertical motion and horizontal motion of the projectile are the same ? I couldn't understand it. Could someone explain it ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
goldfish9776 said:

Homework Statement


Why the time of vertical motion and horizontal motion of the projectile are the same ? I couldn't understand it. Could someone explain it ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


What do you mean by the time is the same?
 
I agree. You need to tell us what you mean by "time of vertical motion and horizontal motion" being the same. If you fire a projectile at an angle to the horizontal, the time that the projectile takes to reach its maximum height is (neglecting air resistance) the same at it takes to go back down again. That's simply because the vertical acceleration is the same in both directions. The time the projectile takes to "hit the ground" again is NOT the same as the time it takes to reach its maximum height but is the same as the total time to go up and back down. That just an obvious result of what "hit the ground again" means!
 
here's what i mean . Part ii
I couldn't understand why the time of horizontal motion is same as the time
 
Attachments
  • DSC_0438[1].JPG
    DSC_0438[1].JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 475
Last edited:
goldfish9776 said:
here's what i mean . Part ii
I couldn't understand why the time of horizontal motion is same as the time
because they are using s as distance, its not the same as units of time s is seconds.
 
Clearly there can only be one time of flight.

It can't take less or more time to travel horizontally than it did vertically.
 
Last edited: