Time of flight of projectile motion

In summary, the time of vertical motion and horizontal motion of a projectile are the same because the vertical acceleration is the same in both directions. However, the time it takes for the projectile to reach its maximum height is different from the time it takes to hit the ground again, which is the same as the total time for the projectile to go up and back down. This is due to the fact that s is used to represent distance, not time. Therefore, there can only be one time of flight for a projectile.
goldfish9776

Homework Statement

Why the time of vertical motion and horizontal motion of the projectile are the same ? I couldn't understand it. Could someone explain it ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
goldfish9776 said:

Homework Statement

Why the time of vertical motion and horizontal motion of the projectile are the same ? I couldn't understand it. Could someone explain it ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What do you mean by the time is the same?

I agree. You need to tell us what you mean by "time of vertical motion and horizontal motion" being the same. If you fire a projectile at an angle to the horizontal, the time that the projectile takes to reach its maximum height is (neglecting air resistance) the same at it takes to go back down again. That's simply because the vertical acceleration is the same in both directions. The time the projectile takes to "hit the ground" again is NOT the same as the time it takes to reach its maximum height but is the same as the total time to go up and back down. That just an obvious result of what "hit the ground again" means!

here's what i mean . Part ii
I couldn't understand why the time of horizontal motion is same as the time

Attachments

• DSC_0438[1].JPG
    DSC_0438[1].JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:
goldfish9776 said:
here's what i mean . Part ii
I couldn't understand why the time of horizontal motion is same as the time
because they are using s as distance, its not the same as units of time s is seconds.

Clearly there can only be one time of flight.

It can't take less or more time to travel horizontally than it did vertically.

Last edited:

1. What is the time of flight in projectile motion?

The time of flight in projectile motion refers to the amount of time it takes for a projectile to travel through the air before reaching its highest point and then falling back to the ground. It is the total duration of the projectile's motion.

2. How do you calculate the time of flight in projectile motion?

The time of flight in projectile motion can be calculated using the formula t = 2 * V * sinθ / g, where t is the time of flight, V is the initial velocity of the projectile, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

3. What factors affect the time of flight in projectile motion?

The time of flight in projectile motion is affected by various factors, including the initial velocity of the projectile, the angle of launch, the acceleration due to gravity, and air resistance. The shape and mass of the projectile can also play a role in the time of flight.

4. Can the time of flight be longer than the initial velocity?

No, the time of flight cannot be longer than the initial velocity. This is because the initial velocity is a measure of how fast the projectile is moving, while the time of flight is a measure of how long it takes for the projectile to travel through the air. The initial velocity is a speed, while the time of flight is a duration.

5. How does air resistance affect the time of flight in projectile motion?

Air resistance can decrease the time of flight in projectile motion by slowing down the projectile as it travels through the air. This is because air resistance creates a force that acts in the opposite direction of the projectile's motion, causing it to lose speed and reach the ground faster. However, in most cases, the effect of air resistance on the time of flight is negligible.