Time period of a mass spring system

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of simple harmonic motion and how it applies to a spring-mass system moving vertically up and down. The period of oscillation is independent of the amplitude, which is not true for all systems. The extra information provided in the question, such as the mass pulling down the spring by a distance of 6cm, may not be necessary for the calculation of the period. It is also mentioned that the period is not independent of the amplitude for all systems, such as a pendulum. However, for small angle oscillations, it can be a good approximation.
Bolter
Homework Statement
Calculate the time period of mass spring system
Relevant Equations
See below
Screenshot 2020-02-25 at 17.47.19.png

I have attempted to draw a sketch of this but can't see how the data they gave me help to find time period

This is what value I have ended up getting but I believe is wrong

IMG_3991.JPG

Much appreciated for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
The period looks OK to me.

kuruman said:
The period looks OK to me.

Thanks but what threw me off here was the extra info that was provided in the question such as the mass pulling down the spring by a distance of 6cm. I thought I had to use this 6cm somewhere in my calculation?

This is a feature of the simple harmonic motion (which is the one that spring has) that is that the period (time between oscillations) is independent on the amplitude (how big the oscillations are) this feature is not true in general, for example, is not true for a pendulum (although is a good approximation for small-angle oscillations)

Bolter said:
Thanks but what threw me off here was the extra info that was provided in the question such as the mass pulling down the spring by a distance of 6cm. I thought I had to use this 6cm somewhere in my calculation?
Maybe there is more to the problem like writing down the equation of motion. Are you sure this is all there is?

Gaussian97 said:
This is a feature of the simple harmonic motion (which is the one that spring has) that is that the period (time between oscillations) is independent on the amplitude (how big the oscillations are) this feature is not true in general, for example, is not true for a pendulum (although is a good approximation for small-angle oscillations)
What's a "small angle oscillation" for a spring-mass system moving vertically up and down?

What is the time period of a mass spring system?

The time period of a mass spring system refers to the amount of time it takes for the system to complete one full oscillation, or back-and-forth motion. It is typically denoted by the symbol T and is measured in seconds.

How is the time period of a mass spring system calculated?

The time period of a mass spring system can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where m is the mass of the object attached to the spring and k is the spring constant. This formula assumes that there is no friction or damping in the system.

What factors affect the time period of a mass spring system?

The time period of a mass spring system is affected by several factors, including the mass of the object attached to the spring, the stiffness of the spring (determined by the spring constant), the amplitude of the oscillation, and the presence of any external forces or damping.

How does the time period of a mass spring system change with changes in mass?

According to the formula T = 2π√(m/k), the time period of a mass spring system is directly proportional to the square root of the mass. This means that as the mass increases, the time period also increases. In other words, a heavier object will take longer to complete one full oscillation than a lighter object.

Can the time period of a mass spring system be altered?

Yes, the time period of a mass spring system can be altered by changing the factors that affect it. For example, the time period can be increased by increasing the mass or decreasing the stiffness of the spring. It can also be decreased by decreasing the mass or increasing the stiffness of the spring. Additionally, the time period can be altered by introducing external forces or damping into the system.