Time taken for a mass on the end of a spring to hit a wall

In summary, the equation for calculating the time taken for a mass on the end of a spring to hit a wall is t = 2π√(m/k), where t is the time, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant. The mass of the object has a direct impact on the time taken for it to hit the wall, while the spring constant is directly proportional to the time taken. The amplitude of the oscillations does not affect the time taken, as it is solely determined by the mass and spring constant. However, the length of the spring does impact the time taken, with a longer spring resulting in a longer time and a shorter spring resulting in a shorter time.
James Ray

Homework Statement

Screenshot_2016-05-18-19-42-07.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

20160518_213153.jpg

20160518_213344.jpg
[/B]

Attachments

• 20160518_214314.jpg
    20160518_214314.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 595
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
James Ray said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 100914

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

View attachment 100916 [/B]
The attachment does not show work related to the question you posted, I guess you uploaded the wrong picture.

nrqed said:
The attachment does not show work related to the question you posted, I guess you uploaded the wrong picture.
Thanks, I've changed the post.

James Ray said:
Thanks, I've changed the post.
I don't understand your calculation of the spring constant. 1.122 (2.4) must be > 2.

What is the equation for calculating the time taken for a mass on the end of a spring to hit a wall?

The equation for calculating the time taken for a mass on the end of a spring to hit a wall is t = 2π√(m/k), where t is the time, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant.

How does the mass of the object affect the time taken for it to hit the wall?

The mass of the object has a direct impact on the time taken for it to hit the wall. The heavier the mass, the longer it will take for the object to reach the wall.

What is the effect of the spring constant on the time taken for the object to hit the wall?

The spring constant is directly proportional to the time taken for the object to hit the wall. A higher spring constant will result in a shorter time for the object to reach the wall.

Does the amplitude of the oscillations affect the time taken for the object to hit the wall?

No, the amplitude of the oscillations does not affect the time taken for the object to hit the wall. The time taken is solely determined by the mass of the object and the spring constant.

How does the length of the spring impact the time taken for the object to hit the wall?

The length of the spring has a direct effect on the time taken for the object to hit the wall. A longer spring will result in a longer time for the object to reach the wall, while a shorter spring will result in a shorter time.