1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tin decay using separable equ's

1. Dec 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A tin organ pipe decays with age as a result of a chemical reaction that is catalyzed by the decayed tin. as a result, the rate at which the tin decays is proportional to the product of the amount of tin left and the amount that has already decayed. Let M be the total amount of tin left before any has decayed. Find the amount of decayed tin p(t).

2. Relevant equations
    "Find the amount of decayed tin p(t)." → p(t)=decayed tin,

"Let M be the total amount of tin left before any has decayed." → amount of tin left=M-p(t)?

3. The attempt at a solution
    "the rate at which the tin decays is proportional to the product of the amount of tin left and the amount that has already decayed." → dp/dtαM-p(t)αp(t)

I am not sure if my interpretation of the data is correct. or if it is, i do not know what to do with it to get an equation for p(t). please help!!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2009 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Let q(t) = amount of tin left. Then
    M-q(t) = amount of tin decayed and
    q(t)*(M-q(t))=product of amount left and amount already decayed.

Can you write a differential equation saying "the rate at which the tin decays is proportional to the product of the amount of tin left and the amount that has already decayed"?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook