1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tipping something given its center of mass? My LAST homework problem

1. Oct 23, 2008 #1
    Tipping something given its center of mass? My LAST homework problem!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A rectangular block of mass 3.0 kg is at rest on a table. Its height (in its current position) is 0.7 m, but because its composition varies vertically, its center of mass is at a height of 0.40 meters. Its width is 0.1 meters in both horizontal directions. At what angle does the block have to be tipped to in order to make it fall over?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that things tip when their center of mass is directly over the normal force. I think I need to make a triangle somehow but the problem has so many weird things in it that I dont know where to begin! Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Re: Tipping something given its center of mass? My LAST homework problem!!

Draw a diagram. When the center of mass is past the edge that you are tipping it about ...

So as you said it's a triangle. What is the angle with the vertical and where the center of mass is relative to the bottom edge.

It's located .4 m up and 1/2 of the width of .1 m over.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?