• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Tipping something given its center of mass? My LAST homework problem

• Thread starter Jaklynn429
  • Start date
Tipping something given its center of mass? My LAST homework problem!!

Homework Statement

A rectangular block of mass 3.0 kg is at rest on a table. Its height (in its current position) is 0.7 m, but because its composition varies vertically, its center of mass is at a height of 0.40 meters. Its width is 0.1 meters in both horizontal directions. At what angle does the block have to be tipped to in order to make it fall over?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that things tip when their center of mass is directly over the normal force. I think I need to make a triangle somehow but the problem has so many weird things in it that I dont know where to begin! Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you!

Answers and Replies

LowlyPion
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

A rectangular block of mass 3.0 kg is at rest on a table. Its height (in its current position) is 0.7 m, but because its composition varies vertically, its center of mass is at a height of 0.40 meters. Its width is 0.1 meters in both horizontal directions. At what angle does the block have to be tipped to in order to make it fall over?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that things tip when their center of mass is directly over the normal force. I think I need to make a triangle somehow but the problem has so many weird things in it that I dont know where to begin! Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you!
Draw a diagram. When the center of mass is past the edge that you are tipping it about ...

So as you said it's a triangle. What is the angle with the vertical and where the center of mass is relative to the bottom edge.

It's located .4 m up and 1/2 of the width of .1 m over.