Tips for a first year in math/physics

In summary, as a first-year university student pursuing a combined honours in mathematics and physics, the individual is concerned about the math courses they will have to take. They are starting with a standard physics course and plan to work hard, but are looking for tips and advice on how to study and handle the material. The conversation also touches on the importance of not solely focusing on grades, but rather exploring each subject and finding what interests you. The speaker also emphasizes the value of getting involved in research and showing interest in subjects beyond coursework, rather than just aiming for high grades. Finally, the individual is advised to approach college as an opportunity to learn and develop skills, rather than just striving for a perfect GPA.
Justin Huang
I'm starting my first year of university this September, and I'm trying to pursue an combined honours in mathematics and physics. I'm starting the standard physics course in first year, covering classical mechanics and electromagnetism and some special relativity, but I'm most worried for the math courses. I have to take a proof based analysis course for both Calculus and Linear Algebra. I know its going to be tough and I'm prepared to work for it, but are there any tips or helpful advice that anybody can offer for my position? I know how to study math/physics I think, but I think it'll be a lot different in university, regarding how to study and material.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think one of the most important things I learned in college was to not worry too much about how high your grades are, but to explore each subject in your own way and discover what interest you and what doesn't. Obviously you should try to do well in college by getting your coursework done on time, ample studying for tests, etc. but don't get wrapped up in trying to get a 4.0 while studying math/physics. It's just not a reasonable goal.

What was most important for me during my time as an undergraduate, was getting opportunities to work with professors on their research. This is often far more useful than just getting good grades. It allows you to see what really goes into developing new ideas in a field, plus that professor can now be a great recommendation for applications to jobs or grad school. Getting into a research group is often more about showing interest in subjects beyond your coursework rather than just getting A's. I had a mix of A's and B's and was able to work with two of my physics professors, not because of my grades but because I showed ability in material beyond what we were learning in the class.

Take college as an opportunity to learn and hone your skills. You will likely have a course or two were you struggle just to get a passing grade. Don't let that discourage you, just press on, do well in what you can, and be passionate about whatever you choose to study.

Likes DS2C

1. What study strategies are most effective for a first year in math/physics?

The most effective study strategies for a first year in math/physics include attending all lectures and taking thorough notes, practicing problems regularly, seeking help from professors or tutors when needed, and reviewing material frequently.

2. How can I stay motivated in my math/physics courses?

Staying motivated in math/physics courses can be challenging, but setting specific goals, breaking up studying into smaller chunks, and finding a study group or partner can help keep you on track. It can also be helpful to remind yourself of the real-world applications of the material you are learning.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid in math/physics courses?

Common mistakes to avoid in math/physics courses include not practicing enough problems, not asking for help when needed, and not understanding the underlying concepts. It is also important to avoid cramming and to start studying for exams early.

4. How can I balance my workload in math/physics with other courses and extracurricular activities?

Balancing a heavy workload in math/physics with other courses and extracurricular activities can be challenging. It is important to prioritize tasks, manage time effectively, and learn to say no to commitments that may interfere with your studies. It can also be helpful to create a schedule and stick to it.

5. What resources are available for first year math/physics students?

There are many resources available for first year math/physics students, including office hours with professors, tutoring services, study groups, online resources and textbooks, and review sessions. It is important to take advantage of these resources and seek help when needed.