To calculate the forces on a composite body

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of a uniform rod AB hinged to the ground at A and resting against a solid cube with a smooth contact between the two. The problem involves finding the reaction between the two objects and the coefficient of friction between the cube and the ground. The textbook provides answers for these values, but the conversation raises a question about the validity of considering the system as a whole when solving for the reaction force. The conclusion is that the line of action of the reaction force may not coincide with the line of action of the weight, leading to a different result when taking moments about A.
gnits
Homework Statement
To calculate forces on a composite body
Relevant Equations
Moments and Force Balancing
Can I please ask for help regarding the following:

A uniform rod AB of length 3L is freely hinged to level ground at A. The rod rests inclined at and angle of 30 degrees to the ground resting against a uniform solid cube of edge L. Contact between the rod and the cube is smooth and contact between the cube and the ground is rough. Find the reaction between the rod and the cube and the coefficient of friction between the cube and the ground if the cube is on the point of slipping. The weight of the cube is twice the weight of the rod.

Here's a diagram (u = coefficient of friction) :

rodcube.png

I have actually correctly answered the question, obtaining the same anwers as given in the textbook of:

s = 3 * sqrt(3) * W / 8

and

u = 3 * sqrt(3) / 41

(also as part of the calculation I have that R = 41 * W / 16 )

I did the above by first considering the rod alone and taking moments about A, and then by considering the cube alone and resolving horizontally and vertically. All worked fine and I agree with the textbook answers.

My question is that, if I consider the system as a whole and take moments about A I get:

(3*L/2) * (sqrt(3)*W / 2) + 2 * W * (sqrt(3)*L + L/2) - R*(sqrt(3) * L + L/2) = 0

and this does not lead to R = 41 * W / 16.

Have I formed the equation wrongly? Is considering the whole body like this valid?

Thanks,
Mitch.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

gnits said:
and this does not lead to R = 41 * W / 16.
Intriguing, isn't it ?

Could it be that the line of action of force R does not concide with that of force 2W ?

##\ ##

BvU said:
Hi,Intriguing, isn't it ?

Could it be that the line of action of force R does not concide with that of force 2W ?

##\ ##
Thanks, I see now. The line of action of R in this situation is not known a priori.

1. What is a composite body?

A composite body is a physical object made up of multiple components or materials that are bonded together to form a single structure. Examples of composite bodies include composite materials used in aerospace engineering, such as carbon fiber reinforced polymers.

2. Why is it important to calculate the forces on a composite body?

Calculating the forces on a composite body is important for understanding how the body will behave under different conditions, such as when it is subjected to external forces or when it is in motion. This information is crucial for designing and engineering safe and efficient structures.

3. What factors affect the forces on a composite body?

The forces on a composite body are affected by various factors, including the materials used, the shape and size of the body, the direction and magnitude of external forces, and the internal forces between the different components of the body.

4. How do you calculate the forces on a composite body?

To calculate the forces on a composite body, you can use Newton's laws of motion and the principles of statics and dynamics. This involves breaking down the body into smaller components and analyzing the forces acting on each component, as well as the overall forces and moments acting on the entire body.

5. What are some applications of calculating forces on a composite body?

Calculating forces on a composite body has many practical applications, such as in the design and analysis of structures in engineering, the development of new materials and composites, and in understanding the behavior of biological systems. It is also essential for predicting and preventing failures or damages to structures and for optimizing their performance.