To find the increase in the radius of a rotating ring

In summary, a differential element is used to find the tension in a system of rotating masses. To find the tension, the centrifugal force is used to find the centripetal force. The tension is then found using Hooke's law.
Kaushik
Homework Statement
A thin ring of radius 'r' is made of material which has density ##\rho## and Young's Modulus '##Y##'. If the ring is rotated about its centre and in its own plane with angular velocity ##\omega##, find the small increase in radius.
Relevant Equations
Centripetal Force ##= m(\omega)^2r##
##\sigma=Y(\epsilon)##
  • The increase in radius is due to the centripetal force acting on the ring. The centripetal force acting on each point of the ring is directed towards its center.
  • We can find force using ## F_c = M(\omega)^2R##
  • We can use this ##F_c## in the equation of Hooke's Law to find the elongation
Could you please help me in progressing with this problem?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you find the component of the tension that balances the centrifugal force on a differential element?

Likes Kaushik
mfig said:
Can you find the component of the tension that balances the centrifugal force on a differential element?
## (dm)\omega^2r = T ##
But ## dm = \rho(dV)## .
So ## T = \rho(dV)\omega^2r##

Is ##dV = \pi(dr)^2R(d\theta)## ?

Kaushik said:
## (dm)\omega^2r = T ##
But ## dm = \rho(dV)## .
So ## T = \rho(dV)\omega^2r##

Is ##dV = \pi(dr)^2R(d\theta)## ?
None of that makes algebraic sense. You cannot have more infinitesimals in one term than in another, e.g. one in ## (dm)\omega^2r ## and none in ##T ##.
If the arc element is length rdθ, what forces act on it and in what directions?
Did you draw an FBD?

Likes Kaushik
This is an interesting problem. It's making me think.

@Kaushik, you are correct that the centripetal force on differential element of mass, [itex] dm [/itex] is

[itex] dF = (dm) \omega^2 r [/itex]

(Same thing as [itex] dF = dm \frac{v^2}{r} [/itex])

But the thousand dollar question is, "Is that the same as the tension?"

And the answer is "no," at least not according to my calculations. But fortunately, they are related.

While I won't tell you what that tention is, I'll explain how I found a formula for the tension.

Instead of the ring being a continuous band, model it as 4 pieces of mass, each with mass [itex] M/4 [/itex], held together by massless strings. The four masses are rotating around their center with angular velocity [itex] \omega [/itex].

Calculate the centripital force on one of the masses. You know that that force must come from the the two strings (one on either side): Specifically, the component of the tensions that are directed toward the center. You can then use algebra to solve for the tension, [itex] T [/itex].

RingTension.png

Now move on to more masses. For example, 5 masses. Do the same thing. The two things that change is the individual mass is now smaller (M/5 instead of M/4), and the angle becomes smaller too. Look for a pattern here.

Now try to find the formula for the tension [itex] T [/itex] for a system of [itex] n [/itex] masses.

Once you have a formula for the tension with [itex] n [/itex] masses, take the limit as [itex] n \rightarrow \infty [/itex].

The result should be rather pleasing, although not too terribly surprising.

[Edit: Hint: although I used degrees to represent the angles in the above figures, you might find it advantagous to use radians.]

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Kaushik
haruspex said:
...Did you draw an FBD?
Yes, a FBD is essential to one approach for solving this. Perhaps the below image will help. It shows a small length ##2rd\theta## of the ring. Now equate the tension forces with the centrifugal force, use the small angle approximation for the sin function, and then solve for T. Once you have T you can solve for the change in length by using Hooke's law.

Tension.png

Likes Dr.D
haruspex said:
None of that makes algebraic sense. You cannot have more infinitesimals in one term than in another, e.g. one in ## (dm)\omega^2r ## and none in ##T ##.
If the arc element is length rdθ, what forces act on it and in what directions?
Did you draw an FBD?
As per the figure provided by @mfig, Tension is tangential to the point where the ##dm## mass is considered. These are the only forces that act on ##dm##. The component of Tension towards the center provides the centripetal acceleration.

Is this tension developed only because of rotating of the ring or can it also be there if the ring is not rotating (to hold each particle together)?

Kaushik said:
Is this tension developed only because of rotating of the ring or can it also be there if the ring is not rotating (to hold each particle together)?

I don't think it really matters. But let's just assume that the tension is 0 when the ring is not rotating. The ring is going to act like spring of sorts (well, sort of). Treat the "spring" as being in its equilibrium position when the ring is not rotating.

• Informative
Likes Kaushik
Kaushik said:
figure provided by @mfig,
Yes, @mfig has been unduly helpful. That should have been an exercise for you.
Kaushik said:
The component of Tension towards the center provides the centripetal acceleration.
Ok, but what is the algebraic expression for that component?

Likes Kaushik
haruspex said:
Ok, but what is the algebraic expression for that component?
From this figure,
1572847683830.png

##2T\sin(d\theta) = (dm)\omega^2r##

Kaushik said:
Although @collinsmark as already answered this question, I also wanted to know what would your (@haruspex) answer be to this question.

Kaushik said:
From this figure,
View attachment 252304

##2T\sin(d\theta) = (dm)\omega^2r##
Ok, but how can you simplify ##\sin(d\theta)## and how can you express dm in terms of dθ?

Likes Kaushik
Kaushik said:
Although @collinsmark as already answered this question, I also wanted to know what would your (@haruspex) answer be to this question.
In the absence of any other forces threatening to pull it apart, only because of the rotation.

Likes Kaushik
haruspex said:
Ok, but how can you simplify ##\sin(d\theta)## and how can you express dm in terms of dθ?
As ##d(\theta)## is infinitesimally small, ##\sin(d\theta) \approx d\theta##

Also, Is ##dm = \frac{Md\theta}{2\pi}##

Kaushik said:
As ##d(\theta)## is infinitesimally small, ##\sin(d\theta) \approx d\theta##

That's right.

Also, Is ##dm = \frac{Md\theta}{2\pi}##

Be careful here. Take a look at @mfig's diagram carefully. What is the total angle that the small section of ring extends?

Likes Kaushik
collinsmark said:
Be careful here. Take a look at @mfig's diagram carefully. What is the total angle that the small section of ring extends?
Oops! I drew a different diagram on my notebook.

According to the figure provided by @mfig, is ##dm = \frac{Md\theta}{\pi}##?

Likes collinsmark
The tension in the ring is in the circumferential direction, and is given by ##Ti_{\theta}##, where ##i_{\theta}## is the unit vector in the circumferential direction. If we do a force balance on the section of the ring between ##\theta## and ##\theta + \Delta \theta##, we obtain $$[Ti_{\theta}]_{\theta + \Delta \theta}-[Ti_{\theta}]_{\theta}=-\rho A\Delta \theta \omega^2 r i_r$$
where ##i_r## is the unit vector in the radial direction. Dividing by ##\Delta \theta## and taking the limit as ##\Delta \theta## approaches zero gives:$$T\frac{di_{\theta}}{d\theta}=-\rho A\omega^2 r i_r$$Geometrically, the derivative of ##i_{\theta}## with respect to ##\theta## is given by: $$\frac{di_{\theta}}{d\theta}=-i_r$$Therefore, the tension in the ring is given by:$$T=\rho A\omega^2 r $$

The next step is to determine the strain in the circumferential direction. How is the strain in the circumferential direction related to the radial displacement ##u_r##?

Kaushik said:
According to the figure provided by @mfig, is ##dm = \frac{Md\theta}{\pi}##?

Your problem statement did not mention M anywhere, so why introduce it? I see a density, which I assume is a linear density (kg/m) since we are told the ring is thin. So from the FBD I posted,

##dm = 2 \rho rd\theta##

Now plug this into the expression you got previously (##2Td\theta = r\omega^2dm##) to yield an expression for the tension in terms of your original problem parameters:

##T = \rho r^2\omega^2 ##

Likes Kaushik
mfig said:
Your problem statement did not mention M anywhere, so why introduce it? I see a density, which I assume is a linear density (kg/m) since we are told the ring is thin. So from the FBD I posted,

##dm = 2 \rho rd\theta##

Now plug this into the expression you got previously (##2Td\theta = r\omega^2dm##) to yield an expression for the tension in terms of your original problem parameters:

##T = \rho r^2\omega^2 ##
The right side should have a factor of the cross sectional area. As written, the right hand side is the tensile hoop stress.

Chestermiller said:
The right side should have a factor of the cross sectional area. As written, the right hand side is the tensile hoop stress.
Not if the units of ##\rho## are, as I said, kg/m.

mfig said:
Not if the units of ##\rho## are, as I said, kg/m.
Ah. But to get the stress and radial displacement, one needs to divide T by the area, which brings us back to the volume density.

Chestermiller said:
Ah. But to get the stress and radial displacement, one needs to divide T by the area, which brings us back to the volume density.

I guess it will be up to Kaushik to understand his problem as stated. The first time I saw this was in high school physics class a long time ago, and we used linear density with a simple linear Hooke's law. As he is in high school, that is how I interpret the problem. Either way, he has both interpretations now.

Likes Kaushik and Chestermiller

1. How do you calculate the increase in radius of a rotating ring?

The increase in radius of a rotating ring can be calculated using the formula: r2 = r1 + (v1 * t), where r2 is the final radius, r1 is the initial radius, v1 is the initial velocity, and t is the time elapsed.

2. What is the significance of finding the increase in radius of a rotating ring?

Knowing the increase in radius of a rotating ring can help us understand the dynamics of the system and make predictions about its behavior. It also allows us to calculate other important parameters, such as angular velocity and rotational energy.

3. Can the increase in radius of a rotating ring be negative?

No, the increase in radius of a rotating ring cannot be negative. This is because the radius of a ring cannot decrease while rotating, as it would violate the conservation of angular momentum.

4. How does the mass of the ring affect the increase in radius?

The mass of the ring does not directly affect the increase in radius, but it does affect the rotational energy and moment of inertia, which are factors in the calculation of the final radius. A heavier ring will have a larger moment of inertia and thus a smaller increase in radius for the same initial velocity and time.

5. Is there a limit to the increase in radius of a rotating ring?

Yes, there is a limit to the increase in radius of a rotating ring. This is because as the ring's radius increases, its moment of inertia also increases, making it more difficult to increase the radius further. Additionally, the ring may reach a maximum allowable speed, preventing it from increasing its radius any further.