Should I Go to the Halloween Party?

• Thread starter Smurf
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the dilemma of attending a Halloween party and finishing an English assignment due on Monday. One person suggests going to the party and finishing the assignment later, while the other advises focusing on the assignment to improve grades. The conversation also touches on the confusion of daylight savings time and proper use of italics for emphasis. Ultimately, the decision is made to work on the assignment and avoid procrastination.
Smurf
So there's a halloween party tonight, that would be awsome. But if I go I may or may not have enough time tomorrow to finish my English assignment that's due monday... dum dum dum.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pfft its just english..

whozum said:
Pfft its just english..
You meant, "it's just English." :eek: Besides, parties are for boring people.

So, why don't you go to the party a little late, or come home early, and try to get more work done on your assignment tonight PLUS get a little partying in?

If I stay until after 10 I have to spend the night since there's no ferries back, and... I can't go late because after 10 there's no ferries back...

It's almost 8, I have to make a decision soon.

And English is my worst course right now, and I have to pass it or I'm going to be really miserable next semester.

Oh, that complicates matters. It might not be worth the effort if you have to leave enough before 10 to catch a Ferry (leaving at 10 wouldn't be bad, but I don't know how much time you need to get to it). If you are struggling with English, it's probably better to just buckle down and get your assignment done so you can pull your grades up. That's too bad.

the assignment is only worth 5%...

*the plot thickens*

I'm currently (probably, we havn't got our mid-terms back yet) failing right now, around 30-40%

ooooh the suspense!

I can make it to the ferry in time if I leave soon..

... wait, it IS almost 8 on the west coast right? not 9? Which way am I supposed to turn my clock? (if at all! why is changing time so confusing!)

Last edited:
Ah what am I saying, I'll still finish the assignment if I go, I just might not get 100% on it... *shrug*

LEAVE! You have wasted plenty of time here thinking about what you should be doing, while you could have just finished your paper! It is only 5%, cake decision. Ohh, you're failing, I don't know what to say then.

I don't have to leave yet, besides I still have to wait for my hoody to get out of the dryer, it's part of my costume. 10-15 minutes tops. I'll probably miss the next ferry though if I leave right after that, so I'll have to wait an hour too

Last edited:
So, work on your paper until it's time to leave to catch the ferry, go spend the night (you'd be sleeping, not working on your paper, anyway), then catch the first ferry in the morning and work on your paper all day tomorrow. At the rate you're going, you'll probably just spend more time procrastinating getting it done if you're thinking about the party you missed because of it.

true. Okay, to work on my paper. Goodbye sweet sweet PF

rachmaninoff said:
You meant, "it's just English." :eek: Besides, parties are for boring people.
:eek: You are only supposed to underline titles! To emphasize a word use italics!

that was a tough decision. I myself have two essays to write, the thing is I did not go to a halloween lan party because I know that the essays are more important. Now I've been watching eight straight hours of Friday the 13th :).

yomamma said:
:eek: You are only supposed to underline titles! To emphasize a word use italics!

Ha! Not according to the English department of http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/general/gl_emphasis.html" :

Still, especially for academic writing, italics or underlining is the preferred way to emphasize words or phrases when necessary. Writers usually choose one or the other method and use it consistently throughout an individual essay.
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/general/gl_emphasis.html

Last edited by a moderator:
yomamma said:
i think the modern language association says only the title of a published book should be underlined. i'd have to double-check my MLA handbook but i think that's what i learned.

That was fun, glad I went.

And are you getting your paper done? No playing on PF if you still have an English paper to write.

I don't have a "paper" to write, it's a silly assignment. And no I'm not getting it done. The university library website is down so i can't finish it. *shrug*

Geeze Smurf, and I thought I was a procastinator!

mattmns said:
Geeze Smurf, and I thought I was a procastinator!
You don't even compare to me and some of my friends.

we've perfected it.

FAQ: Should I Go to the Halloween Party?

1. Should I go to the Halloween party even if I don't have a costume?

It's ultimately up to you, but going to a Halloween party without a costume may make you feel left out or uncomfortable. Consider getting a simple costume or DIY one with items you already have.

2. Is it safe to attend a Halloween party during the COVID-19 pandemic?

It's important to follow local guidelines and regulations regarding gatherings and social distancing. Consider attending a virtual Halloween party or hosting a small, outdoor gathering with proper precautions in place.

3. What are some alternative activities to going to a Halloween party?

You can still celebrate Halloween without attending a party. You can watch scary movies, have a pumpkin carving contest with friends, or even have a themed potluck with your household.

4. How can I tell if a Halloween party is appropriate for my age?

It's always best to check with the host or ask for more information about the party before attending. If you're unsure, it's better to err on the side of caution and find a different event to attend.

5. What should I do if I feel uncomfortable or unsafe at the Halloween party?

If you feel uncomfortable or unsafe at any point during the party, it's important to trust your instincts and remove yourself from the situation. You can also reach out to a trusted friend or authority figure for support.