To prove that a field is complex

In summary, a field is a mathematical structure with specific axioms that must be satisfied for it to be considered a field. The complex numbers are an example of a field, as they are closed under addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. However, they are not an ordered field because it is not possible to define a relation z1<z2. Not all fields are necessarily complex, as any finite field or non-real extension of \,\mathbb{Q}\, is not orderable. To prove that a field is not ordered, one can observe that -1 cannot be expressed as a sum of squares, or that a sum of squares equals zero only if every summand is zero.
friend
I understand that the complex numbers form a "field" since the complex numbers are closed under addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. And I understand the complex numbers are not an ordered field since it's not possible to define a relation z1<z2.

My question is: Are all not ordered fields necessarily complex? Then how would you prove that a field is not ordered, is that something that is observed in a system or imposed? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Take F={0,1} with

[tex]0+0=1+1=0,~1+0=0+1=1[/tex]

and

[tex]0*0=1*0=0*1=0,~1*1=1[/tex]

then F is a field that can not be ordered.

friend said:
I understand that the complex numbers form a "field" since the complex numbers are closed under addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. And I understand the complex numbers are not an ordered field since it's not possible to define a relation z1<z2.

My question is: Are all not ordered fields necessarily complex?

No. Any finite field is not orderable (in fact, any field of positive characteristic is not ordered), or any non-real extension of [itex]\,\mathbb{Q}\,[/itex] is not orderable...

Then how would you prove that a field is not ordered, is that something that is observed in a system or imposed? Thanks.

A field can be ordered iff -1 can't be expressed as a sum of squares, or equivalently iff a sum of squares equals zero iff every summand is zero.

DonAntonio

micromass said:
Take F={0,1} with

[tex]0+0=1+1=0,~1+0=0+1=1[/tex]

and

[tex]0*0=1*0=0*1=0,~1*1=1[/tex]

then F is a field that can not be ordered.

This seems like a very strange way to define + and *. Are you saying that in a field that we can define + and * and way we wish? Or is there some requirements for + and * so that they are consistent with each other?

friend said:
Are you saying that in a field that we can define + and * and way we wish?

A field is a specific algebraic structure with its own axioms so, no, we can't do anything we wish. What Micromass described is a special (very small) field.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_(mathematics )

I would suggest doing a little reading on Groups and Rings as well, to give Fields some context. Wikipedia might not be the best place for a beginner to start. Try a free textbook like this:

http://abstract.ups.edu/

Last edited by a moderator:
friend said:
This seems like a very strange way to define + and *.
It's not that strange at all. It's just like a clock with only two hours: 0 and 1. Take a look at this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_arithmetic

Are you saying that in a field that we can define + and * and way we wish? Or is there some requirements for + and * so that they are consistent with each other?

No, there are axioms that + and * must satisfy in order for (F, +, *) to be considered a field. Briefly, (F, +) must be an abelian group, ##(F^\times, *)## must be an abelian group and the distributive law must hold. You can read the axioms in more detail here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_(mathematics).

1. What is a complex field?

A complex field is a mathematical concept that involves numbers with a real and imaginary component. It is represented as a+bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit. The real component, a, represents the horizontal axis and the imaginary component, bi, represents the vertical axis.

2. How do you prove that a field is complex?

To prove that a field is complex, we must show that it satisfies the properties of a complex field. These properties include closure, associativity, commutativity, identity, inverse, and distributivity. If all of these properties hold, then the field is considered complex.

3. What are some examples of complex fields?

The most well-known example of a complex field is the set of complex numbers, denoted by C. Other examples include the field of complex polynomials, the field of rational functions with complex coefficients, and the field of complex matrices.

4. What is the significance of complex fields in mathematics?

Complex fields are essential in mathematics because they allow us to solve equations that cannot be solved using real numbers alone. They also have many applications in other fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

5. How are complex fields related to complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that studies functions of complex variables and their properties. Since complex fields involve complex numbers, they are closely related to complex analysis. In fact, complex analysis is often used to study and understand complex fields.