To show that an integral is divergent

In summary, the mean of the Cauchy distribution is undefined due to the divergence of the integral \underset{-\infty}{\overset{\infty}{\int}}\frac{x}{x^{2}+a^{2}}dx. While there is a proof that replaces the limits of integration and shows the divergence, simply looking at the antiderivative \ln(a^{2}+x^{2}) being an increasing function of x is not sufficient to conclude the divergence of the integral. The easiest and typical way to show this is by using the aforementioned proof.
longrob
Hi all

I am looking for a simple way to show that the mean of the Cauchy distribution us undefined. This is because this integral diverges:
[itex]\underset{-\infty}{\overset{\infty}{\int}}\frac{x}{x^{2}+a^{2}}dx[/itex]​
Now, I know one proof which replaces the limits of integration with -x1 and x2. After carrying our the definite integration we are left with [itex]\frac{1}{2}\ln\left(\frac{a^{2}+x_{2}^{2}}{a^{2}+x_{1}^{2}}\right)[/itex] and finally (by Taylor Series expansion) [itex]2\ln x_{2}-2\ln x_{1}+smaller terms[/itex] . Then allowing x1 and x2 to approach infinity shows that the intergral diverges.

My question is now: is it sufficient, on any level, just to look at the antiderivative [itex]\ln(a^{2}+x^{2})[/itex], state that it is an increasing function of x, and simply conclude from it that the integral diverges ?

Thanks
LR

Physics news on Phys.org
The antiderivative increasing is definitely not enough. If you're integrating ANY positive function you'll get an increasing antiderivative, but there are plenty of such functions which are integrable

Thanks for your reply. That's what i thought. So I assume the easiest/typical way is the way I described above ?

1. What does it mean for an integral to be divergent?

An integral is considered divergent when its value is infinite or undefined. This typically occurs when the integrand (the function being integrated) has a singularity, or when the function grows too quickly as the limits of integration approach infinity.

2. How can I show that an integral is divergent?

To show that an integral is divergent, you can use a variety of methods such as the comparison test, the limit comparison test, or the p-series test. These tests involve evaluating the behavior of the integrand as the limits of integration approach infinity.

3. Can an integral be both convergent and divergent?

No, an integral can only be either convergent or divergent. If an integral is convergent, it means that its value is finite and if it is divergent, its value is infinite or undefined.

4. Is it possible for an integral to be divergent even if the integrand is a continuous function?

Yes, it is possible for an integral to be divergent even if the integrand is continuous. This is because the behavior of the integrand at the limits of integration is what determines if the integral is convergent or divergent, not the overall continuity of the function.

5. What are some real-life applications of divergent integrals?

Divergent integrals are commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving infinite or undefined quantities. For example, in calculating the escape velocity of a rocket or the amount of work done by a variable force, divergent integrals can be used to represent the infinite or undefined quantities involved in these scenarios.