1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

To somehow prove that x>logx for all x>o

1. Oct 1, 2011 #1
    i have been given a question ...that is to prove that x>logx for all x>0
    i know that its true.....and i have thought of a way to prove it
    i thought of drawing a graph.....but then i had a small doubt that will the graph hold true for all x>0 till infinity?
    i mean i know its true but will the graph prove that? i can only draw it for a finite no of numbers
    also i am studying differentiation and integration these days....so is thereany way of roving this using differentiation and integration? ...or any other way?
    i really appreciate anyones help....thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2011 #2
    In order to prove it, you can proceed by showing x-log(x)>0 for all x>0, and then showing that x-log(x) always increases (by using differentiation; it must always have a positive slope).

4. Oct 1, 2011 #3
    but then again i will be doing that for a finte limit.....
    i want to do something with limits like x goes from 0 to infinity.....any other idea?

5. Oct 2, 2011 #4
    Taking a limit at infinity proves nothing in this case; it will only give you information for large x behavior, and nothing about the general behavior. What I told you applies on the whole interval.

6. Oct 2, 2011 #5
    You know that x>lnx for 0<x<=1. Try using derivatives to show the function x increases faster than ln(x) for all x >1.

7. Oct 2, 2011 #6
    induction...?

8. Oct 2, 2011 #7
    I don't think induction can be used for statements such as the OP's (the functions are continuous; they aren't just defined for natural numbers)

9. Oct 2, 2011 #8
    You could also divide by x (since x > 0) and look at the behavior of log(x)/x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook