Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #5,533
DaveC426913 said:
Come on. The oldest human in the world is barely 120.

• #5,534
Ibix said:
I really struggle to imagine a contract term saying "you paid for services A and B, and if you only use A we can punish you" being enforceable. Doesn't mean they don't write such a term, of course, and challenging one might be more risky than it's worth.

I think they may have to request fuel volumes before they know people haven't turned up. So they end up carrying more fuel than they need, which is more delay during refueling and more weight in flight (and therefore fuel use) than they need. If no-showing is particularly rampant they may have more flights than they need, and/or more staff on duty.

It all stems from their bizarre pricing structure, of course, but large scale no-shows probably do cost them money.
I believe that it is a mechanism to "segment the market". It is part and parcel of other mechanisms aimed at the same goal (advance purchase, standby fares, weekend and holiday rates, round trip around a weekend). In general, you want to give price breaks to the passengers who are price sensitive or are shopping around and not give price breaks to passengers who are not price sensitive or have no choice.

The classic case is an airline that has a hub in B. They have no or few competitors in B.

The airline can charge high rates for a flight from A to B. They are the only carrier that can service the route. But when taking passengers from A to C, another carrier with a hub in B' (B prime) can compete. The airline must reduce its fare or lose business.

In this case "segmenting the market" means locking A to B passengers into the A to B fare while allowing A to C passengers to use the lower A to C fare.

Likes gmax137 and Ibix
  • #5,535
jbriggs444 said:
I believe that it is a mechanism to "segment the market". It is part and parcel of other mechanisms aimed at the same goal (advance purchase, standby fares, weekend and holiday rates, round trip around a weekend). In general, you want to give price breaks to the passengers who are price sensitive or are shopping around and not give price breaks to passengers who are not price sensitive or have no choice.

The classic case is an airline that has a hub in B. They have no or few competitors in B.

The airline can charge high rates for a flight from A to B. They are the only carrier that can service the route. But when taking passengers from A to C, another carrier with a hub in B' (B prime) can compete. The airline must reduce its fare or lose business.

In this case "segmenting the market" means locking A to B passengers into the A to B fare while allowing A to C passengers to use the lower A to C fare.
I flew from Guangzhou to Hong Kong to Seattle to Salt Lake City. ABCD. There are plenty of airlines flying from Hong Kong to Seattle [BC] but these are more expensive than Guangzhou to Salt Lake City. [AD}. I think the higher price is because demand is higher and because Hong Kong and Seattle residents have more money than Guangzhou and Salt Lake City travelers.

Airline pricing is done by big computer programs that take all sorts of things into account. They maximize Hong Kong-Seattle income then fill the remaining seats with lower cost connecting flight travelers.

• #5,536
Hornbein said:
"Of the 20 rats examined, eighteen of them showed a preference for Beethoven, and only two showed a preference for Miles Davis. "

The rats preferred silence to Beethoven's Fur Elise. The scientists considered making music that the rats liked but have yet to explore this avenue. They noted that music has an effect on the human brain similar to popular forms of drug abuse. They were able to get the rats to prefer Beethoven over silence by injecting them with a cocaine solution in association with Beethoven's Fur Elise.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3144275/

Hipster rats : Outnumbered!

View attachment 321728
Sometimes you hear these horror stories about drugs that if you put a rat in a cage with no access to PE and females they'll get addicted to morphine (wow, really?!). That's why I like this study.

Rat Park (wiki)

It doesn't say anything about musical preferences though.

• #5,537
Wire was first made five thousand years ago.

In some cases, strips cut from metal sheet were made into wire by pulling them through perforations in stone beads. This causes the strips to fold round on themselves to form thin tubes. This strip drawing technique was in use in Egypt by the 2nd Dynasty (c. 2890 – c. 2686 BCE[2]). The oldest record of wire being made for musical instruments is from Augsburg in 1351. -- Wikipedia

I thought it would be very hard to do, but apparently not.

• Informative
Likes BillTre
  • #5,538
Hornbein said:
Airline pricing is done by big computer programs that take all sorts of things into account. They maximize Hong Kong-Seattle income then fill the remaining seats with lower cost connecting flight travelers.
...and it's probably easier to issue legal threats to people than change the algorithm to close the loopholes.

Likes Hornbein
  • #5,539
TIL that Physics Forums is on Facebook. Here's a screen shot

Screenshot_20231005_074415_Facebook.jpg

• Haha
Likes dextercioby, Math100, pinball1970 and 3 others
  • #5,540
TIL that Steve Miller has turned 80.
He has made a bunch of good tunes.
Here is one of many:

Likes pinball1970
  • #5,541
BillTre said:
TIL that Steve Miller has turned 80.
He has made a bunch of good tunes.
Here is one of many:
80, wow! Time moves swiftly in this place.

I liked their earlier trippy blues tunes, like this:

Likes pinball1970 and BillTre
  • #5,542
This is interesting, and a nice advance in technology, IMO. Tonight I was watching an episode of COPS where they used a new portable instrument called "TruNarc" to test a small plastic baggie of suspected narcotics. The TruNarc uses a laser to illuminate the sample (even through the clear baggie, no need to extract a sample), and analyzes the reflected light to determine if the substance is a match for illegal narcotics.

Pretty nice step forward, IMO. I'll need to read more about it to understand the technology used and its limitations.

From TV tonight:

TruNarc on COPS.jpg
And from a web search:

https://www.thermofisher.com/order/catalog/product/TRUNARC

Likes BillTre
  • #5,543
Red Bull was invented in Thailand. In the early days it was banned in Germany.

In Indonesia energy drinks that contain caffeine and nicotine are sold to children mixed with candy. I tried that. I got a case of paranoia until the drug wore off.

• #5,544
berkeman said:
This is interesting, and a nice advance in technology, IMO. Tonight I was watching an episode of COPS where they used a new portable instrument called "TruNarc" to test a small plastic baggie of suspected narcotics. The TruNarc uses a laser to illuminate the sample (even through the clear baggie, no need to extract a sample), and analyzes the reflected light to determine if the substance is a match for illegal narcotics.
What? Hard-nosed cops won't rip the bag open, dunk their pinkie in an unknown powdery substance and taste it anymore??

What a world, what a world.

Likes pinball1970
  • #5,545
rty8948ycwrb1.jpg

Likes Hornbein, BillTre, Math100 and 1 other person
  • #5,546
I'll drink to that! :oldbiggrin:

Likes BillTre
  • #5,547
DaveC426913 said:
What? Hard-nosed cops won't rip the bag open, dunk their pinkie in an unknown powdery substance and taste it anymore??

Fentanyl
1696594341108.png

There was some viral videos about secondary fentanyl poisoning cases among cops, but so far those are widely considered fakes
But that won't change the fact that since fentanyl hit the streets tasting unknown suspicious stuff is even less of a good idea than ever before...

Likes BillTre, Math100, berkeman and 1 other person
  • #5,548
  • #5,549
Rive said:
Fentanyl
View attachment 333138
There was some viral videos about secondary fentanyl poisoning cases among cops, but so far those are widely considered fakes
But that won't change the fact that since fentanyl hit the streets tasting unknown suspicious stuff is even less of a good idea than ever before...
I always thought that was very dodgy.
No way to tell what this white powder is, could be cocaine so lets taste some...what could possibly go wrong?

Last edited:
Likes BillTre
  • #5,550
pinball1970 said:
I always thought that was very dodgy.
No way to tell what this white powder is, could be cocaine so lets taste some...what could possible go wrong?
I only know of it from films and TV shows, and i suspect that goes for all of us.

I did read somewhere a real cop saying it is a ridiculous cliche that no sane cop would ever do.

• Informative
Likes Rive, pinball1970 and Bystander
  • #5,551
DaveC426913 said:
I did read somewhere a real cop saying it is a ridiculous cliche that no sane cop would ever do.
It's interesting that I could not find anything about the origin of this. Usually there is something to find, collected by really dedicated movie/TV enthusisasts.
But for this one the closest I could dig up is a statement that some drugs may cause a numbing feel.

• #5,553
Rive said:
It's interesting that I could not find anything about the origin of this. Usually there is something to find, collected by really dedicated movie/TV enthusisasts.
But for this one the closest I could dig up is a statement that some drugs may cause a numbing feel.
I guess it is simply due to the fact that the information "drugs" has to be placed without delay and a boring drug test. I mean: running to the trunk of the car, fetching a drug test, swabbing a probe, waiting for the colors to change, and all for the simple information "drug" that the viewer expects anyway? Doesn't make sense. Smelling it or looking at it is less convincing than tasting something most people don't how it tastes anyway makes some dramaturgic sense.

Likes Rive
  • #5,554
berkeman said:
Yes, usually that's a good source, but this time it just could not deliver the expected 'oh, so that's it' feeling...
Maybe it's just me hoping to find something more ... spicy o0)

fresh_42 said:
makes some dramaturgic sense.
Well, that makes sense:doh:

• #5,555
DaveC426913 said:

What a world, what a world.
Hard nosed cops don't rip the bag open, they slit it with the switchblade knife that suddenly appears in their hand, out of nowhere.

• Love
Likes DaveC426913 and Bystander
  • #5,557
A new Millennium Prize was announced

1696896881436.jpeg

• Haha
Likes dextercioby, phinds, collinsmark and 3 others
  • #5,558
TIL a little about Oliver Heaviside.

• #5,559
The Berlin Philharmonic was founded in Berlin in 1882 by 54 musicians under the name Frühere Bilsesche Kapelle (literally, "Former Bilse's Band"); the group broke away from their previous conductor Benjamin Bilse after he announced his intention of taking the band on a fourth-class train to Warsaw for a concert.

Likes jack action
  • #5,560
BWV said:
A new Millennium Prize was announced

View attachment 333355
I can beat that. Indonesian dictionaries. The title may include a number. Since there is no rule that the number has to have anything to do with the contents there is rampant inflation. Last I checked it was 400 billion.

Last edited:
Likes BWV
  • #5,561
TIL that Hugo Broch, a WW2 German fighter ace, fulfilled a lifetime ambition by flying a Spitfire -- at the age of 95.

Likes russ_watters, diogenesNY, Astronuc and 2 others
  • #5,562
TIL That Leonard Rossiter was in "2001 a space Odyssey."

• #5,563
How an alleged scammer sold fake airplane parts to United, Delta, and more — and fooled a whole industry
https://news.yahoo.com/alleged-scammer-sold-fake-airplane-194406088.html

Counterfeit products are a huge problem, and a potential safety hazard when involving safety-related or safety-critical parts in systems like aircraft and their engines, nuclear reactors, vehicles, pipelines, . . . .

• Wow
Likes BillTre
  • #5,564
LEZ in Scotland scuppered our gig plans, (Sabbath and Ozzy)our reconditioned van to carry the gear does not meet the requirements.
Fair enough, saving the planet is more important than tribute bands, just disappointed we found this out late (poor planning, our bad)lost money on the gig, hotel, a nice walk round the city and the fans, dozens of them.

The local news got hold of it. For the record I was not fuming, in a rage or outraged.

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/outraged-musicians-slam-glasgow-lez-27894804#comments-wrapper

Likes russ_watters and Ibix
  • #5,565
I think the author picked "fuming" as a pun on the low emissions zone idea.

• Haha
Likes russ_watters, BillTre and pinball1970